SEAS or other makes tweeter recommendation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2014, 10:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SEAS or other makes tweeter recommendation

Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of tweeter to replace in my old japanese speaker. But I want to keep them old looking. So, I thought to find the tweeter which its front plate can be removed in order to put it under the old face of tweeter.

After searching in the internet, I found the fact that there are two types available.

1) Two-piece : front plate(plastic) with diaphragm + magnet.
2) Three-piece : front plate(plastic) + diaphragm + magnet.

Here are some example of each type.
Type 1 : Seas DXT Tweeter
Type 2 : Pole-Piece Vent Felt Tweak - Seas T25C003 Tweeter

Anyone who knew or experienced with SEAS or other makes which it is classified to type 2, please suggest me

Thank you
Old 8th August 2014, 04:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody knows

Last edited by presscot; 8th August 2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 8th August 2014, 04:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Give people chance, we're not all here 24/7.

Without knowing the frequency & impedance responses of the existing tweeters, it's almost impossible to say, since it will be extremely unlikely that you will find one that can simply replace the old drivers without also requiring modifications to the crossover.
Old 8th August 2014, 06:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I can only give you a negative find. I once opened a Seas 27TBFC/G and is of your first type. I suspect every Seas Prestige tweeter is build like that.

Ralf
Old 9th August 2014, 12:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Give people chance, we're not all here 24/7.

Without knowing the frequency & impedance responses of the existing tweeters, it's almost impossible to say, since it will be extremely unlikely that you will find one that can simply replace the old drivers without also requiring modifications to the crossover.
I plan to make the new crossovers for them since the woofer has been changed to SEAS h602 already.

Last edited by presscot; 9th August 2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 9th August 2014, 01:12 AM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, Post details of the old tweeters, rgds, sreten.
Old 9th August 2014, 02:49 AM   #7
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi presscot. I always feel I'm drowning when I start following your threads, but here goes again....

You had some Technics or Denon two way speakers (which had some sort of soft dome or metal 1" tweeter) which you fitted a SEAS polycone to, and ran it with no bass filter, right? Sounded terrible of course!

I then suggested you tried the very quick and dirty SEAS Embla filter and fiddled around with the resistor in the tweeter filter. A start anyway.

I wouldn't do a filter like that for 6" bass these days, preferring a third order BW3 on both legs based on personal experience. But that's a whole lot of work. Not hard, but you'd need to fiddle a bit.

Which tweeter? The metal DXT is a trickier one than the (obsolete?) soft dome T25C, but might be more rewarding in the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEAS Embla.JPG (38.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: png SEAS Embla Crossover.PNG (5.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg SEAS P17REX-P Spec.JPG (57.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg SEAS P17REX-P.JPG (54.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 9th August 2014, 04:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Hi presscot. I always feel I'm drowning when I start following your threads, but here goes again....

You had some Technics or Denon two way speakers (which had some sort of soft dome or metal 1" tweeter) which you fitted a SEAS polycone to, and ran it with no bass filter, right? Sounded terrible of course!

I then suggested you tried the very quick and dirty SEAS Embla filter and fiddled around with the resistor in the tweeter filter. A start anyway.

I wouldn't do a filter like that for 6" bass these days, preferring a third order BW3 on both legs based on personal experience. But that's a whole lot of work. Not hard, but you'd need to fiddle a bit.

Which tweeter? The metal DXT is a trickier one than the (obsolete?) soft dome T25C, but might be more rewarding in the end.
Thanks a lot System7. I've read all of your posts and I trusted you.

So, I'd followed your suggestion and the result is good. But the problem I found now is each of my old tweeter didn't emit the same response. I don't know why, and that means they meet the woofer at the different crossover point. Thus, I thought to get a new pair of tweeter. Bored to cope with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi, Post details of the old tweeters, rgds, sreten.
Sreten. Here is a tweeter's response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tw.jpg (120.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 10th August 2014, 12:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Any recommendation ?
Old 10th August 2014, 01:13 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

That looks like the tweeters response with the crossover in place? If it is are you sure you don't have a bad cap or fault in the xover?

Hide this!Advertise here!