SEAS or other makes tweeter recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of tweeter to replace in my old japanese speaker. But I want to keep them old looking. So, I thought to find the tweeter which its front plate can be removed in order to put it under the old face of tweeter.

After searching in the internet, I found the fact that there are two types available.

1) Two-piece : front plate(plastic) with diaphragm + magnet.
2) Three-piece : front plate(plastic) + diaphragm + magnet.

Here are some example of each type.
Type 1 : Seas DXT Tweeter
Type 2 : Pole-Piece Vent Felt Tweak - Seas T25C003 Tweeter

Anyone who knew or experienced with SEAS or other makes which it is classified to type 2, please suggest me :worship:

Thank you

Give people chance, we're not all here 24/7.

Without knowing the frequency & impedance responses of the existing tweeters, it's almost impossible to say, since it will be extremely unlikely that you will find one that can simply replace the old drivers without also requiring modifications to the crossover.

I plan to make the new crossovers for them since the woofer has been changed to SEAS h602 already.

Last edited:
Hi presscot. I always feel I'm drowning when I start following your threads, but here goes again....

You had some Technics or Denon two way speakers (which had some sort of soft dome or metal 1" tweeter) which you fitted a SEAS polycone to, and ran it with no bass filter, right? Sounded terrible of course! :D

I then suggested you tried the very quick and dirty SEAS Embla filter and fiddled around with the resistor in the tweeter filter. A start anyway.

I wouldn't do a filter like that for 6" bass these days, preferring a third order BW3 on both legs based on personal experience. But that's a whole lot of work. Not hard, but you'd need to fiddle a bit.

Which tweeter? The metal DXT is a trickier one than the (obsolete?) soft dome T25C, but might be more rewarding in the end.

Attachments

• SEAS Embla.JPG
    SEAS Embla.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 131
  • SEAS Embla Crossover.PNG
    SEAS Embla Crossover.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 126
  • SEAS P17REX-P Spec.JPG
    SEAS P17REX-P Spec.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 125
  • SEAS P17REX-P.JPG
    SEAS P17REX-P.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 127
Hi presscot. I always feel I'm drowning when I start following your threads, but here goes again....

You had some Technics or Denon two way speakers (which had some sort of soft dome or metal 1" tweeter) which you fitted a SEAS polycone to, and ran it with no bass filter, right? Sounded terrible of course! :D

I then suggested you tried the very quick and dirty SEAS Embla filter and fiddled around with the resistor in the tweeter filter. A start anyway.

I wouldn't do a filter like that for 6" bass these days, preferring a third order BW3 on both legs based on personal experience. But that's a whole lot of work. Not hard, but you'd need to fiddle a bit.

Which tweeter? The metal DXT is a trickier one than the (obsolete?) soft dome T25C, but might be more rewarding in the end.

Thanks a lot System7. :) I've read all of your posts and I trusted you.

So, I'd followed your suggestion and the result is good. But the problem I found now is each of my old tweeter didn't emit the same response. :( I don't know why, and that means they meet the woofer at the different crossover point. Thus, I thought to get a new pair of tweeter. :cool: Bored to cope with them... :D

Hi, Post details of the old tweeters, rgds, sreten.

Sreten. Here is a tweeter's response.

Attachments

• tw.jpg
    tw.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 117
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.