2 way crossover design assist? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2014, 03:34 AM   #1
neonleg is offline neonleg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 2 way crossover design assist?

Hi, I have built a cabinet for a some speakers i purchased.. now i have to build a crossover and i'm hoping someone with access to the LEAP software can assist? i can pay for your time

thanks in advance for any advice

eton tweeter 25 sd1 Znom 8 ohm
Re 6.8 ohm
Le@1kHz 0.28 mH
fs 1000 Hz
Mms 0.22 g
Sd 6.5 cm2
BL - 2.87 TM
Xmax - 0.5 mm peak
VC Ø 25 mm
Sensitivity 1W / 1m 90 dB
Nom. Power DIN 100 W

and midwoofer 7-350s 25 Its an older model 7" hexacone woofer with low fs, The main specs are Qts. .29, Fs 33 Hz, and Vas 48 ltrs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140731_161643.jpg (297.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20140731_161643sm.JPG (38.2 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by neonleg; 12th August 2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The first place to start is to obtain impedance plots for the drivers,
If you don't have manufacturers data, download ARTA, make a simple jig & measure them for yourself
Old 8th August 2014, 01:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi thanks for the reply. yes i have that information available. i know i can generate a design using simple freeware but i was hoping to get a more accurate result than that. if all fails here i will try using the hypex filter design software as i have one of their plate amp modules here.. regards
Old 8th August 2014, 02:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

re:"i have that information available" links? or post the pdfs?
re:simple freeware - Arta is more than simple freeware
re:"hoping to get a more accurate result " - this is acoustics, not rocket science....
despite all the bs here, high levels of accuracy aren't required
Old 8th August 2014, 03:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
re:"i have that information available" links? or post the pdfs?
re:simple freeware - Arta is more than simple freeware
re:"hoping to get a more accurate result " - this is acoustics, not rocket science....
despite all the bs here, high levels of accuracy aren't required
Hi Pete, thanks for your interest

the tweeter charts are here

http://www.etongmbh.de/uploads/tx_pb...s/25SD1_01.pdf

actually the woofer data is in the post to me so I have to wait a couple of days for that. Its not available online. Its the previous incarnation of this but non inverse surround and 25mm voice coil:

http://www.etongmbh.de/uploads/tx_pb...0_37Hex_01.pdf

I was not referring to ARTA as simple freeware, though my post does read like that.. I meant simple crossover component generator/designer freeware. I have used ARTA before a couple of times and it is fantastic for analysis. at the moment I don't have a suitable microphone and the speaker box is not loaded with the speakers yet so I cant use it.

I know everything changes once the speakers are in the cabinet, I was just hoping to make contact with someone that could assist in the design in basic theory using good software. I will be able to make measurements in the cabinet shortly.

You are correct that acoustics is not rocket science, it's probably more complicated and definitely more important to me
Old 8th August 2014, 03:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

nice drivers... FWIW I'd be tempted to go 1st order (incorporating BSC) on the woofer & 2nd order LR on the tweeter at around 3KHz
Old 8th August 2014, 04:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

hi, thanks for the advice
i'm not really sure how to go about designing one though
i'll keep searching for info
cheers
Old 8th August 2014, 04:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I agree with PeteMcK. but you also need to measure relative efficiencies, to determine if you need efficiency equalizing resistors, before you can calculate the size of the caps and coils. Ideally you'd make both the frequency response (for efficiency comparisons and choosing the crossover frequencies) and impedance response measurements with the drivers mounted in the box. Then crunch the numbers and build the crossover.

Considering all the variables and interactions in designing, building and testing speaker systems, I think it pretty much IS "rocket science". Getting it to be accurate is actually a lot of work. Getting it close to accurate is usually good enough. Listening room acoustics will often turn a highly accurate speaker into something you would laugh at and make fun of.
Old 8th August 2014, 05:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

ok great!

i know how to make freq response measurements with the mic but not how to make dynamic impedance measurements with the drivers mounted?
Old 8th August 2014, 12:02 PM   #10
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonleg View Post
ok great!

i know how to make freq response measurements with the mic but not how to make dynamic impedance measurements with the drivers mounted?
I have pretty good results using a jig much like this one:

Lilmike’s DIY Impedance Measurement Jig - AVS Forum

Hide this!Advertise here!