System7 fixed my HDS problem... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2014, 02:39 AM   #1
Clausen is offline Clausen  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool System7 fixed my HDS problem...

Hey System7...it looks like you aren't reading the thread anymore about my Nomex164 build. I can be pretty abrasive and maybe the stuff I said about some of your replys made you decide you couldn't help and it wasn't worth trying any more.

First of all let me say, I was speaking out of frustration and took it out on you and I regret it, and I am sorry!

The LCR circuit I tried was a little too mellow. Then I tried different values of the same LCR, and that didn't do it either and adjustments to the L-Pad. It sounded good but not quite there!

Then I tried your Zobel recommendation. I bypassed the .1 mh and eliminated the L-Pad and just went with your values for the Zobel that you posted on like the first or second page of that other thread. I had bought the components for that after your suggestion but had not tried them yet!

I kept thinking about what you said about the Zobel being the smoothest so I figured it was worth a try.

Man what a difference. I am really happy now. I can't thank you enough!

The LCR really helped, and the truth is I probably would have been happy with it. But I am convinced the Zobel was the way to go! It is the perfect combination between brightness and detail without the listening fatigue IMO.

And man you were right about it being smooth! It almost makes me not want to build any other speakers...almost!!! I'll definitely be building a 3-way in the future and please know your input is welcome and respected.

And I would be remiss if I didn't thank everyone else who offered suggestion and help. However, I feel I owe System7 an apology and credit for helping find the perfect balance for my listening preference!
Old 7th August 2014, 04:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

could you post what changes you made, and also what the difference in sound is ??
Old 7th August 2014, 08:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Clausen,

+1 with Old'n'Cranky, can you describe your actual crossover with all the values please

As I've said before the best things I've done to make my speaker sounding better were to lower the tweeter level by 1 db AND to change the listening room

Speakers are sounding much better in the actual with wooden floor, carpet and and curtains !!

Last edited by Pascal GUERIN; 7th August 2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 7th August 2014, 08:54 AM   #4
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I was still following the thread, Clausen, but I had taken a step back from the debate, which had mostly turned ugly and pointless IMO.

Simple enough problem, the D2608 soft dome tweeter sounded terrible in this design: PEERLESS-NOMEX-164

This is almost where I came into this forum. Years ago my SEAS H0532-08 19TAFD/G metal tweeter was sounding overly bright and horrible! I fitted a Zobel and it sounded much better.

Zobel for a 5.6R, 0.04mH tweeter is easily calculated. It's 7R and 0.82uF. Impedance Equalization (L-Pad) Circuit Designer / Calculator

Better to go under than over, and 7.5R and 0.68uF are near enough values.

I don't know quite why it works so well. There may be an element that feedback amplifiers prefer driving pure resistance at high frequencies, where they tend to run out of loop gain and stability. Maybe the tweeter is optimally damped and the filter works better.

There something messy about attenuators, and a simple input resistor and a Zobel can be adjusted very easily and has a nice high impedance too. It also SOUNDS NICE.

The bass section might not be the last word either. I've never liked the sound of second order and a notch with 6" bass. I'll probably try a pure third order BW3 on my own test cabs when I have the time. I must therefore thank YOU for making me think hard.
Attached Images
File Type: png Troels Nomex 164 Original Tweeter Circuit.PNG (3.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: png Modified Nomex 164 Tweeter Circuit.PNG (2.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 7th August 2014, 09:19 PM   #5
Clausen is offline Clausen  United States
diyAudio Member

Ugly...yes, and that's why I wanted to make sure you saw my apology from my part in that! Pointless....I disagree, because I tried several revisions and your's was the one I like best!

So thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!