By how much can fiberglass actually 'increase' enclosure volume??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read that by using fiberglass as stuffing in a speaker you can make the driver 'see' a bigger enclosure (something to do with its thermal properties). Does anyone know approximately how much 'virtual' volume you can gain by using this to its full advantage?

Thanks
Sardonx

I've seen different values in different books, but the upper limit seems to be about 1.4 x nominal enclosure volume. How tightly you have to pack it is open to question; they never seem to get around to telling you that part. Lotsa places admit to more modest figures like 1.2.

Grey

Hi Sardonx,

The compliance of the air in a box is calculated using the following expression :

Cab = V / (rho x c^2)

where

V = volume
rho = density of air
c = speed of sound in air

For a given box, the volume V and the density of air are constant. The speed of sound is related to the type of expansion and compression of the air in the box.

If the air compresses adiabatically (the box is empty) then c^2 is proportional to the adiabatic ratio of the specific heats which is 1.4. If the air compresses isothermally (best possible fiber present to absorb the heat) then c^2 is proportional to the isothermal ratio fo specific heat 1.0. In this second case the box has a lower compliance and looks 40% bigger then the empty box.

The most a box can be made to look "bigger" by adding fiber is about 40%, this is the upper limit. This assumes the fiber volume is small compared to the box air volume. In real world applications, my guess is that the most you can gain in "virtual" volume is about 20%.

Hope that helps,

Filled up and still more space

The max you can get in the real world is about 25% greater seen volume by the woofer suspension system. It's been described rather well. The air flowing in to the box through the port or air within a closed box will literally be slowed down when it is forced through the filler. Not the whole truth but it works. This makes the woofer think that it is inside a bigger box because with the filler it behaves like it is inside a bigger box.

Mark

Ps. BoseO where do you live so that I can check out your enclosures??????

MJK, would the equation that you posted change for a vented enclosure? Considering you now have three air masses instead of two. Rear wave inside enclosure, front wave outside enclosure, and the air-mass inside the port.

The equation for the compliance of the air in a box is the same for a closed and a vented box. So nothing changes.

I am not sure I understand your second question. If you stuffed a vented box to reach a 20% virtual increase in volume, then I think one of the results would also be that the box is not very resonant any more. This would require a lot of stuffing. The QL would be very low and the motion of the air in the port would be significantly attenuated. It would be a very weak bass reflex design and not perform as expected.

mwmkravchenko, sorry about the delay. I remember trying to post up and something came up and just left...anyway the post that was intended for you never reached you. If you use MSN then add me to your list please: voodooman_1000@hotmail.com

Also, insulation+fiberglass is not supposed to be safe either...doesn't stop me though..anything to kill those nasty resonances and "increase" enclosure size.

Nuuk said:
Polystyrene chips (used for packaging) also work well.

Erm..... I sorry but they don't.

MJK, would the equation that you posted change for a vented enclosure? Considering you now have three air masses instead of two. Rear wave inside enclosure, front wave outside enclosure, and the air-mass inside the port.

you need a clear aipspace arround the port to allow it to work,
the maximum stuffing you can use is ~ 50% of the aipspace,
either by lining the walls or by stuffing the top half where the
driver is & leaving the bottom half unstuffed where the port is.

So maximum increase for a reflex is ~ 10%.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.