My silly speaker questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good morning folks, now i have an apt thread title let me start ;) im new on this site but from reading alot on here the following may make some people sick :D
Im not an audiophile by any measure but can tell the difference between good and bad :)

Im probably looking for the impossible but ill ask anyway.
I live in the UK and im starting to build my system. Im on a budget and i understand how that will affect things.

Id like to build everything i can so im looking for speaker kits. This is for a 7.1 system. Id like to have nice sounding speakers to be powered by class D amps with around 100 watts output per channel.

Heres the impossible bit; after a time, when the entire system is built id like to try out valve amplification ( probably a mullard type design )but i dont want to blow money on yet more speakers until i have to, as this is probably going to be a cheap setup for some but no doubt will stretch my budget.
Are there any kits that will work well with valve amplifiers (50 watt-ish) and class D (100 watt-ish)
Thanks for takng the time to read and mh apologies to those who feel this as vomit inducing :D

Regards
Jim

Thanks for the reply

Ive been contemplating the swope range from meniscus audio.
Meniscus Audio Group

In the pdf it says they have an efficiency in the low 90's , they look good and they fall into the right area in my budget.
Thing is the pdf says that the centre speaker has two woofers wired in parallel which drops it to 4 ohms.

Would this lead to problems for my diy amplifier plans?
I had intended to simply use the same class D design for each channel/pair

You can find some more information on the woofer here:

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/297-437-hi-vi-m5a-specifications-45110.pdf

From it, two observations can be made: 1) according to the manufacturer, optimum enclosure size per driver would be 9 litres, which I feel is already smallish in view of the TS parameters. The Meniscus Audio group goes even smaller, which might lead to a boomy sound, 2) efficiency is quoted as 85 dB/2.83V @ 8 Ohm. This will lead to an efficiency if mounted in parallel of 91dB/2.83V @ 4 Ohm. However, efficiency in terms of Watts would be 88dB, and this is what the manufacturer quotes, so it might be optimistic.

Thankyou, i never thought about looking for a datasheet from the manufacturer.

I think i may start to struggle with this, i see on that datasheet that the speaker is designed for 35W, if im reading it right.

Anyone any suggestions as to speakers that would fit the requirements, around $200 per kit.
My budget for all of the speakers, except the sub woofer and enclosures is in the region of £1500, with postage if possible.

Im not hoping to get stellar performance, especially as id imagine most people spend more than my budget on a single speaker :) just something to give a good sound when watching movies mainly. It would be nice if i could also use them to experiment with my own valve amplifier builds too.

Thanks

Unless you really want to be a builder, your budget should get you a very nice sounding 7.1 system from a reputable manufacturer. Have you shopped around already and given up?

Some years back I bought a Teac 5.1 system from a local discounter for about $400 that included a receiver and was very happy with it. In fact, I still use the front and center speakers with my TV and the sub with my two channel mid-fi system that employs my Intimates stand mount 2-ways.

I would really like to build things if possible.
I really enjoy the building of things aswell as the using.

I may need to change my goals or increase my budget, ive been looking at speaker kits on and off cor about a month, not a lot of kit suppliers provide info on the rated speaker wattage or efficiency and to be honest it hadnt occurred to me to check manufacfurers sites.

Im not too sure as to how to proceed now, i may start looking at secondhand items and see where that takes me.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Ok then,on a change of tack, the valve amps arent my main priority.
What id like are 8 ohm speakers that sound quite nice/acceptable can handle the 100W per channel and come in kit form with a budget of around the £200/$335 per speaker.

Ive always wanted a good sounding system, and ive always wanted to build it.
Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Even better search pointers would be a help

Thanks again
Jim

Thanks. I had checked falcon but in honesty im not sure if the LS3/5a are good or not.
I take it by your response that they cant be that bad :)

Can't be that bad?!!!! They are some of the best sounding monitor speakers ever designed! People covet the originals and Falcon has faithfully reproduced the design and overall quality of the originals.

The Yahoo.com Spendor (LS3/5a) group has over 1200 members!

Wow, guess they be the ones im buying :)
Thankyou kindly!!!!!!

I noticed the site says theyre 15 ohm speakers, does that present any problems with amplifiers.
Heck i dont care :)

Ok, so as this is for a 7.1 system, any suggestions for a centre front speaker?
Would using the speakers and crossovers in a different enclosure work?
Thanks again

Wow, guess they be the ones im buying :)
Thankyou kindly!!!!!!

I noticed the site says theyre 15 ohm speakers, does that present any problems with amplifiers.
Heck i dont care :)

Ok, so as this is for a 7.1 system, any suggestions for a centre front speaker?
Would using the speakers and crossovers in a different enclosure work?
Thanks again

I strongly suggest you get in contact with Falcon and tell then what you want to build and your budget. I'm sure they will be most helpful selling you 8 speakers! :)

Magic, thanks.
Through my searching (and not really knowing what im looking for/at) ive become used to seeing the gimmicky speakers.

Just a sub to find and thatll be the speaker side of things sorted.
Im in no hurry to find the sub, there'll be plenty to do before that :D but can anyone tell me why i see subs with perhaps three or four times the power of the other speakers in some systems?

I wouldve thought that perhaps twice the power wouldve been all that is needed?

Thats right vacuphile, i intend to build class D amps after the speakers.
Is there any specific reason as to why 8 ohm speakers would be better suited?

I only have a basic understanding of such things but my thinking was along the lines of (not counting for losses ) 200W into 4ohms, 100W into 8ohms would also mean roughly 50W into the 15ohms. I thought that the output power would be reduced and that was that (pretty much)

Two reasons, first is that te frequency response of most class d amplifiers are dependant on the load impedance, and most are optimized for 4 to 8 ohm. Exception are the hypex modules. Second reason is that in order to get some serious undistorted power out of most class d amps, the load impedance should be low.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.