Small bass driver - but how small?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to start a new project for a small room. The room is 10' x 7'6". The room will be used exclusively for listening late night - it's the room furthest from the neighbours.

At one end I will be building an equalised sub using two SEAS L22s, with two small stand mounts a couple of feet down the room. I will be using the SEAS 22TAF/G for the tweeter, but, having not made a small speaker since I used a KEF B110 30 years ago, I'm unsure where to go next.

Ideally I'd be wanting sealed box, getting close to 100hz but maybe rolling off at 150hz. More importantly, what bass there is, albeit upper bass, needs to be crisp and clean. I'd like to keep the driver small, so would something like a 12cm fit the bill? Or would I need something larger like a 15cm? It doesn't need to play loud.

Thanks for any input.

Odd that you are eager / willing to add significant complexity in the form of twin Subs.
Subs are NOT neighbor friendly.. just to add insult to injury.
Perhaps using a speaker of enough size to produce decent bass would be a cleaner solution.
A quality 6" Full range driver could meet ..All.. your expectations as a simple elegant solution. Most certainly an 8 incher would :)
Audio goal posts have moved well downfield over the past 30 years.

Last edited:
My current room has a Peerless 12" XXLS sub and bass to 20hz. This room shares a wall with next door! I try to listen when they are not in...

The other room (much smaller) is not connected to the neighbours and so is relatively sound proof (at the levels I listen at). That's the reason for moving in there.

The L22s and 22TAFGs will be from an existing 3 way design which is too big for that room. I only need a small bass/mid to make a 2 way.

VD is the measure...

I'm looking to start a new project for a small room. The room is 10' x 7'6". The room will be used exclusively for listening late night - it's the room furthest from the neighbours.

At one end I will be building an equalised sub using two SEAS L22s, with two small stand mounts a couple of feet down the room. I will be using the SEAS 22TAF/G for the tweeter, but, having not made a small speaker since I used a KEF B110 30 years ago, I'm unsure where to go next.

Ideally I'd be wanting sealed box, getting close to 100hz but maybe rolling off at 150hz. More importantly, what bass there is, albeit upper bass, needs to be crisp and clean. I'd like to keep the driver small, so would something like a 12cm fit the bill? Or would I need something larger like a 15cm? It doesn't need to play loud.

Thanks for any input.
... and the question is how large will your constraints permit?
Regards,
WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.