ZRT crossover capacitor damage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

A few years ago I started building a pair of Zaph ZRTs, including the crossovers. Things happened that have stopped me from thinking about finishing them till recently.

When taking a look at the crossovers that I had mostly finished building some years ago I noticed that the Jantzen audio CrossCaps that I have in the crossover have a dark orange/brown slightly sticky substance on their ends and that the ends of the caps faintly show that they are not completely flat, instead they look like they have slightly higher bubble shaped areas with lower areas in between (that the strange substance likes to fill).

At first I thought it was some flux from my bad soldering job, but it seems to also have happened on caps that I have not got around to soldering yet (thus also ruling out heat damage)!

Has anyone else had this happened to their caps and does it mean they are somehow damaged?

qdoyRc6.jpg

bdJlMkJ.jpg

Sorry about the really out of focus shots, but it should be visible.

Note that the first cap is fully soldered up and the second is soldered on the other side, I could not get a good shot of the unsoldered cap that is also showing the same signs though.

Edit:
The unsoldered one
YH6pOMH.jpg
OdmwBcY.jpg

Last edited:
If these caps are bad it puts me in a tough spot, it would cost $200 + shipping to the other side of the planet to get the predone madisound crossovers ($150 + shipping for just the caps alone).
The place I got the parts I have now are from a local place that still only sells Jantzen (and other semi local places sell caps for a lot more)

You can use a ohm meter, you'll see a brief moment continuity then it will drop to infinity

could have just been a sticky spots during production that over time change colors or picked something up. those are suppose to last a decade or two and with today's production failures are extremely rare.
Cat may have sneezed on them, spiders may have mated, I've seen smoke do that after some condensation, who knows, did you try wiping it off, damp rag?

You can use a ohm meter, you'll see a brief moment continuity then it will drop to infinity

could have just been a sticky spots during production that over time change colors or picked something up. those are suppose to last a decade or two and with today's production failures are extremely rare.
Cat may have sneezed on them, spiders may have mated, I've seen smoke do that after some condensation, who knows, did you try wiping it off, damp rag?

I did try to wipe them off, did not really do anything.
I could scratch a bit off with a fair amount of effort though.

Probably spilled a can of coke on them or something. I'd be very surprised if it was coming from inside the cap.

Ha, I think I would remember that.

Well I have checked a few with my DMM and it seems like at least one cap is dead (oddly one that does not have as much of the stuff on it), it shows it stuck at 50k ohms (and not moving) vs the other caps that show quickly rising ohms (then open line).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.