orangutan lookalike...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, today is my youngest sons birthday (24) and I just finished his birthdaypresent(s)
Now I realize that one might have might have opinions about stealing(borrowing) ideas, but then again, one might just call it being inspired by...
Anyway it´s a lookalike, not an attempt to clone. I´ve always been sort of interested by the Snell concept followed by Audio Note and recently DeVore. Especially the DeVore Orangutans I really like aestethically. I guess that it´s not something I would have built for myself, especially not after having found what I now call "the recipe" http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/256870-fait-accompli-mk-ii.html but I wanted to do this and jumped on the chance when Sebastian told me he also wanted some speakers. (my oldest, Jonathan, got these; http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/255694-diatones-again.html )

They are really a real budget version of the concept, Silver flute 8" 4 ohm ($36.80 a piece) and Vifa bc25sc06-04, ($14.40 a piece) Monacor coil and cap (Solen split at 3000hz) and an L-pad. (Couldn´t find an 8ohm L-pad so I parallelled a stereo 4ohm. It works. 19 mm mdf, white hammerite and Baltimore walnut self adhesive vinyl. Total cost ca $400.

And they sound really good. And they are very adjustable with the L-pad and Proson foam inserts for the two monacor bass reflex ports 54mm diameter, 140mm long each. Measurements 400x240x800mm + legs.

He knows they´re ready, but he hasn´t seen them yet.

Attachments

• WP_000220.jpg
    WP_000220.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 2,127
  • WP_000222.jpg
    WP_000222.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 2,073
  • WP_000224.jpg
    WP_000224.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 1,984
Thanx. I´m a big fan of Gravesen, especially his fantastically informative and inspiring website. But, unlike him, I´m not very interested in complicated crossovers. It might well be that my purist approach emanates from lazyness and ignorance. Anyway my approach is to try to find drivers that match eachother so well that they can play together with a minimum of components. My ambition with these, however, were not all that high. Just to make som nice-sounding, nice-looking speakers from my son.
But my real feat, "the recipe" is of course heavily inspired by Linkwitz, but then again, without the active crossover and independently amplified channels/segments.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I actually gave my son some adjusters for the legs so that they can be tilted back (a bit). And yes, the flutes are most definitely "bang for the buck". I could have wished (in this case) that they didn´t have so high an SPL. ( or that the woofers had higher...) The L-pad is really against my principles, but necessary in this case.

I don't know why anyone would be secretive about the values used with a simple coil and cap filter! But that's diyaudio for you, a bit short on sharing IMO. I would guess 0.68mH, and 3.3uF with some resistors for those drivers. :D

But John DeVore has used a rather clever variant of the H1411-08 A26RE4.

That bass can run crossoverless. The treble filter to suit would be second or third order unless you use something rather exotic like a E0055-06 T35C002, which ends up like a SEAS A26 Kit.

Generally it's better to mount woofer and tweeter as close as possible. And a decent crossover does no harm either. Perhaps next time... :)

Anyway, very nice speakers!

Attachment: Simulation at 3 m on tweeter axis. Due to the wide overlap in the range of 2-8 kHz the SPL depends strongly on actual microphone/ listening position.

Attachments

• SimulationBunkhokum.jpg
    SimulationBunkhokum.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 929
  • CrossoverBunkhokum.jpg
    CrossoverBunkhokum.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 929
Nice project.
I've been on a similar idea quest.
I like the seas a26 woofer (and -6db@2khz) but don't like the price.
My buddy doesn't like the newer horn loaded vifas compared to the older h26 out of production.
I like the non ferrofluid morel 378 horn loaded dome (with 5.6uf is -6db@2khz) but it is a little pricey.

I'd like to play with my 6.5" flutes 8ohm shielded or 8" 4ohm.
My buddy ordered 6 of the Dayton horn loaded dome.
Dayton Audio ND25FW-4 1" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter with Waveguide 4 Ohm
He's thinking 24db@2khz mtm or 2.5 way.
I bet for time alignment the tweet will have to go back maybe an inch.

I'm a sucker for 6db or even woof wide open plus single cap tweet.

Maybe someday I'll try seas a26 run wide open with the single cap morel a little moved back.
But for now, flutes and dayton using active crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.