best midbass for a horn "mini" monitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
best midbass for a horn "mini" monitor?

Sorry if this subject has been covered at length, but I did some searching, and could not come up with anything.

I am preparing to build some "small" (less than 2 Cu ft) monitors with horn tweeters. (TAD 2001 w/10" round tracterix horns)

My goal is to find a "matching" midrange/midbass driver that will extend to aprox 100hz or so.
I will either bi-amp or use an auto-transformer to match the output of the two drivers.
(might not be needed if I reversed the 2001 and ran it without the rear cover (or horn, obviously) and used it as a big dome tweeter..but that's getting off topic..)

The box will be sealed or ported, and the front of the box might incorporate a "directional baffle" (mini horn) around the driver if I need to recess it in order to get vertical alignment with the tweeter VC.

I am looking for a driver that is high eff, smooth response, around 10" or so in size. a pair of 8's or something like that might also work.

I realise that it won't match the sonic character of a TAD, but I am searching for something smaller than my current horn system, with better imaging..

I would appreciate any ideas or experience you can share.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
cyclotronguy said:
TAD 1100 series will be an excellent match, and will fit into your cabinet requirements.

Cyclotronguy
Pass Labs
Figures.;)

I'm using dual JBL LE10A's, but the TAD's mentioned by Kent, or the discontinued JBL 2012's or 2123's would work with a little playing with the filter. One day I may get to try the PHL drivers which looks pretty good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.