Substitute for SB29RDC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2014, 06:40 AM   #1
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Substitute for SB29RDC?

Hi, I'm looking to replace the SB29RDC tweeters from the Recession Buster Reference kit: is there a substitute without changing the crossover?
Thanks in advance.
Old 29th July 2014, 08:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would be very surprised, crossover is not only defining from which frequency the tweeter is responding but usually also improving linearity, as no speaker is ever fully linear. if the previous one had a bump around 6000Hz and the new one has one around 9000, they wont match. If you decide to go for a different tweeter, I would always exchange both sides.

what is your reason to exchange them? If they are broken, my personal preference would be trying to find the original

without too much shipping cost, you could get them here: https://www.intertechnik.com/Shop/17...p/&transport=#

if they are too harsh, think about removing some of the sonofil, increasing the volume of mid and low will decrease tweeter presence
Old 29th July 2014, 09:07 AM   #3
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks, yes I would change both, is just that I woul like to try diferent tweeters and I wonder i there are any replacement that match with out changing mich the crossover.
Old 30th July 2014, 08:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I see - what is it that you're missing in the SBs? Maybe a little change in the crossovers would already do the trick?
Old 30th July 2014, 08:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I recently listened to these: Satorique, the High End Formula of small speakers - July 2014 - Loudspeakermagazine 2014 | Loudspeakerbuilding

was quite impressed by the performance - and they also have a dome tweeter by SB. The TW29R is a bit more on the high end side though...
Have a look at the link I posted, maybe compare the measurements of the tweeters - if the curves are more or less similar and the data fits that might be worth a try

As said, I guess it will be quite hard to exchange the tweeter without changing the crossover. I always try to listen to a speaker before building it - not always easy, but sometimes driving a few hundred km makes a difference.

Last edited by highenddiy; 30th July 2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 30th July 2014, 05:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Actually there is not much difference in subjective sound quality of the Satori tweeter, and the RDC 29 (at least not as much as in price). For 50 Euros it is not an easy task to better the SB-s. Maybe some of the Illuminator, or Accuton ceramic domes perform better, but at 4-6X price tags. Also the SB-s are workable from 1.5 kHz with 2nd order XO (fs 600 Hz), so it will not be easy to find a reasonably priced replacement to them. I found them easy to work with, natural sounding, fast, with excellent top end resolution, so not sure why you want to replace them.......
Old 30th July 2014, 05:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

In fact I can assure you, that if this tweeter doesn't sound "right", then something is definitely screwed up in your crossover. Be aware of the fact, that since it has no ferrofluid damping, if your XO frequency is low (below 2k) then without proper resonance filtering the Fs "peak" will cause a rather nasty coloration....

Hide this!Advertise here!