radical change to a set of kit boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a speaker kit which i made the boxes for using there sizing

What i would like to do now is change the box completely . I want to make it narrower, taller & deeper but will keep the litres the same . can anyone see any problems . At least one measurement will be changed by 10 percent or more

Also change the ports from front to back of box . if possible put one next to other or one on top of the other .Can anyboby see any problems thanks

busterno1 said:
The kit is the jv 60 from jaycar .I am rebuilding because I am sick of looking at the 2 ports in the front . could you please explain baffle correction how it will effect the box or the crossover .Is it a effect I am likely to hear

Assuming it is not a transmission line there should be no problems at all. The thing most likely to have an effect is the baffle width which relates to the baffle step correction in the crossover, but 10% change is certainly not significant.

As long as you don't change the baffle width significantly the
sound will not change. Siting the ports on the back will sound
slightly better usually.

;) sreten.

The JV60 box is not tall enough. Ideally, the height should place the tweeter on ear level when in your seating position. 900mm is usually about right for a normal couch, so the box should be taller, say 1150 - 1200mm tall. Tall and slim also looks better. If you place the vents on the rear of the box, you need clearance behind as if the gap is too small, the effective tuning of the vents will be lower. Don't worry about baffle width, the difference should be more theoretical rather than noticeable.

IMO the Jaycar box has very bland looking proportions. It is ridiculous to have to put a floorstanding speaker on a stand to get the right height as well. 210mm front baffle width looks about right for these speakers. But this may not help if you are only making minor modifications to an existing box.

What is the size of the box you have now?

With ports the main thing you have to watch is the clearance around it. If it is very near the floor, then this will extend the effective length and you must allow for this. I'm not sure of the effect of placing the vents close to each other. Unless you can get a clear answer on that I'd avoid it.

As far as rounding the edges, I would consider that primarily an aesthetic change, rather than an acoustic one. It is commonly thought to reduce edge diffraction, but I don't think it is really effective. There is a relationship between the wavelenth of concern and the radius of the curve, which means that the radius you are likely to use is only going to work for the very high frequencies which tend to beam and have very little off axis output anyway. If you want to put on a grille, this radius becomes a pest, and personally I don't think the radius looks as good, but that is a matter of opinion.

regards,
Paul

Hi : )

I have had the jv60 kit sitting in my cupboard for the last 6 years waiting to be built.
I also wanted to change the design of the speakers in the same way you did and was wondering how you went with that project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Yeah it has been a long time and i'm feeling a bit guilty :(
They are still unused brand new in the original box.
Over the years i made all these grand designs but never built the cabinets for them.
Now i'm thinking just to narrow them slightly to 200mm and increasing the height to maintain the internal volume.
I'm also going to get a cabinetmaker to make them as i now have no tools and no time. Also i want a really pro finish. Was thinking of something like this. http://www.aadsound.com/products/Loadspeaker/c series/550-Big cherry.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.