Adire kit281 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently looking for some speakers for my home theatre system.

the Adire drivers a looking pretty good atm ( also looked at theloudspeakerkit.comau and toyed with the idea of a vifa design )

so this brings me to the the kit281's

my current idea is to build 5 kit281's
2 vented or TL
3 sealed

the vented ones will be my front mains and the 3 sealed will do the duty of centre and rears.

does this sound like a good plan ?

also what difference would it make making the main TL instead of vented ?

hmm according to some of the other treads around the TL version of the kit281's is not very good. so ported it is.

also i've been thinking about a differnt config of speakers ( still adire )

option 1 -
main - KIT281's ported
centre - kit281 sealed
rear -kit281's sealed

option 2 -
main - kit 281's ported
centre - LCC ( sealed ? )
rear - kit 88's ( sealed )

sub to be added later

does this sound a like a reasonable setup ??

Hello,

I have previously owned a surround setup utilizing 281's for the fronts, and 81's for the rears and no center channel. I also used a ported shiva for my sub. First I would say that if you plan on using 281's sealed you will definately want to use them with a sub. If you can afford it on the center I would definately go for the LCC. I have heard great things about it and I imagine it would be a decent step up from a stock 281. I'm not sure whether the LCC is ported or sealed but if you have an option, I would build it ported, especially if you have to wait a while on the sub. My personal opinion is that the 81's are fine for the rears and I wouldn't spend the extra money on the 281's back there unless you listen primarily to multi-channel music. The 81's can sound passable without a sub but you will probably want to add one as soon as possible. So in conclusion I would definately go for option 2, and add a sub as soon as possible.
Good luck!

George

ps. Just had another thought; how big is your listening room and how many people usually use the system at once? If only one or two people watch movies at a time, you might be better off holding off on the center channel for now and putting the money towards a sub. That's what I did, and with the excellent "phantom center" imaging of the 281's, I didn't regret the decision.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.