New Linkwitz "LXmini" speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What frequency were you rolling the tweeter in at? You might try it as a "super tweeter" i.e. >12kHz and see if you like the added sparkle and clarity. In some set ups this has the uncanny effect of improving the image and spaciousness around the instruments even into the bass realm. Although with the 3 inch TangBand you are using it may not really be necessary if the published graph is to be believed.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Would the use of a 8" woofer with a larger diameter require a lower x-over frequency to remain omnidirectional?

Yeah. The 8" driver will narrow quite a bit lower in frequency than the 5" driver used in the LXmini, so I would suspect that using the same crossover frequency (700Hz) would yield a much more abrupt change in the polar response in jmccanna's system......relative to the LXmini.

The whole reason for SL's design request to Seas for a suitable driver for the LXmini was to use the smallest driver (area wise) possible but still with high excursion capability to extend the bass.

Dave.

Calculation

Yeah. The 8" driver will narrow quite a bit lower in frequency than the 5" driver used in the LXmini, so I would suspect that using the same crossover frequency (700Hz) would yield a much more abrupt change in the polar response in jmccanna's system......relative to the LXmini.

The whole reason for SL's design request to Seas for a suitable driver for the LXmini was to use the smallest driver (area wise) possible but still with high excursion capability to extend the bass.

Dave.

I seem to recall there was a calculation somewhere in this thread to figure out the theoretically best crossover point based on driver diameter. Perhaps I am imagining things again?

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I seem to recall there was a calculation somewhere in this thread to figure out the theoretically best crossover point based on driver diameter. Perhaps I am imagining things again?

Well, in your case, you've already selected the drivers and the mounting scheme so, you're pretty much locked-in to an inherent set of native responses for both drivers.
All you can do at this point is try and optimize the various characteristics (polar response, low-frequency distress for the tweeter, etc, etc,) and see how the trade-offs work out. I would suspect that a lower crossover frequency than 700Hz might be better since your change to an LR2 response yielded a nice improvement.

The way I approached my LXmini system, was to leave the stock configuration pretty much the same (my scheme is slightly different than SL's,) put add a 10" woofer augmentation to achieve the low-frequency response and SPL to make it a legitimate full range system.

Cheers,

Dave.

Polar response

Hi All,

I misspoke in speaking about crossover calculation. Frazzled I guess. I meant to mention that there was something about being able to calculate the polar response based on diameter of the driver - I think.

All that aside, I will play around with different crossover points and see what my ears tell me.

I have a set of Dynavox LY401F 4" Full-Range Driver on the way. I think I will mount them like SL did on the LXMini and take my chances with my windows reflecting backward energy. I expect/hope them to reach higher easier than the TangBands.

Then as we all say - I am done, it is finished - right?

Thanks All!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.