Dewire Flat wire at CES

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guss said:
I doupt of flat wire quality/utility unless you really need it. I know a lot has been said about wire and sound but is it worth spending big money on flat wire if you cant get 16ga copper wire for 150% less?

Just my two cents

OOOHhh yes it is.

We can conclude that Guss is obviously not married :D

Flat wire goes under the carpet, and behind the wallpaper ;)

Magura

They claim to be introducing power distribution products too. I just cant imagine getting UL and National and local electrical code certifications for a product carrying 15-20 amps at 120 VAC that you tape to the wall and paint over. Yikes.

I guess I'm curious about this because of some forum members who have been making there own speaker cables using un-spooled inductors. I think I even remember seeing a picture of one member that was doing their own flat power cables.

The flat coax idea is just cool, although I dont think that they are the first to do it. Wonder if its true 75 ohm? How would your crimp a BNC onto it, a sledge hammer?

I got my flat wire from a local hardware/marine shop maybe 10 years ago. As I recall, it wasn't much cheaper. The thing to be careful of is that it's secured to a pretty rigid surface, assuming you're running it under the carpet (as I did). I learned this the hard way.

To do something like this on the cheap, plain old ribbon cable works well. This approach has the advantage that you can, by choosing the way the wires are grouped, tune the relative amounts of inductance and capacitance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.