The Tablet Cinema- little something I've been working on. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2014, 10:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Tablet Cinema- little something I've been working on.

Here's a little ( real little ) something I've been working on for the last week. I call it the Tablet Cinema....

uploadfromtaptalk1404944342006.jpg

Small speaker to set my tablet on top of to watch a movie out back with decent sound. I have used The Pipe a few times, but with the huge dynamic range of movies it can be a little to much sometimes ( It's awesome, but can annoy the neighbours ). So, I decided to build something a little ( a lot ) smaller.

I'm using a tiny 2.1 channel amp I found at AliExpress ( about 20 watts to the sub, 10 watts left and right ) to power 2 Dayton ND65-8 as the sub and an Aura Cougar on the left and right, drivers from Parts Express. The Cougars each have their own tiny sealed enclosure and are mounted to a slightly curved baffle to improve dispersion a little ( also helps with comb filtering, but that's not really a concern, this is designed for close listening ) . The Daytons are wired in series ( 16 ohm load ) in a vented enclosure tuned to about 50 Hz ( modeled, I need to run the impedance to verify that ). The woofers ( can I really call a 2 inch a sub? It is crossed over around 150 Hz ) are mounted on the bottom, I still haven't figured out how I want to protect them. The whole bottom panel is removable to make for easy access to everything. Here's a look inside....

uploadfromtaptalk1404944647074.jpg

Check out the 3/8 " x 1 1/2 " flared vent....

uploadfromtaptalk1404944731619.jpg

Subwoofer grills...

uploadfromtaptalk1404944941331.jpg

I still meet to come up with something to protect the full ranges, some feet, how to finish it.

Here's the measured frequency response @ 4 feet from the front ( good listening position )..... This was at about 1/2 volume, I have some excursion issue around 40 Hz ( on a 2", ha! Not even bottoming out, just sounds ugly )... A high pass ( cap in series ) filter should take care of that. Then I can get some good measurements at full volume.

uploadfromtaptalk1404944809781.jpg

Pretty amazing for an 11" x 9" x 2" speaker really! Not quite THX standards, but not bad.

By the way, so far it sounds great! Huge sound from a tiny box.... Fun stuff!

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!