Space-Filling Rear/Surround Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to play around with some designs for improved space-filling effect for surround/rear channel speakers. After a few cogitations and iterations I settled on a combination of designs that did some of the job well.

For the low end I went with an upward firing woofer with an inverse hyperolic (or some such shape) cone over it -- the old Zenith Circle Of Sound 360 degree dispersion thing. The test woofer was a Goldwood 5.25" poly cone.

For the high end I put some Boston Acoustics metal dome tweeters into a vertical 1.5" diameter Karlson K-tube. I've always liked the reverb effect from the frequency dependent dispersion, but more so in the higher freqs. I mounted these into some PVC couplers, and those onto the top of the woofer's dispersion cones. Xover for these was just 6 dB/oct @ 3.5 kHz. Power was a pair of Audiosource AMP100s, one running stereo @ 50 wRMS for front and rear L/R, one at 100 wRMS mono for the sub and center channel

Here's a couple pics: a finished product, and the complete system I tested them in. Testing was outdoors so not to drag room acoustics into the mess.

2014-06-28 20.57.04.jpg

2014-06-28 20.56.05.jpg

The subjective output was low compared to the front speakers, but then it ought to be. It's not supposed to act like a point source but rather fill the space. The Goldwoods were a bit crunchy at the full 50 w but the BA's held their own. The reverb effect from the K-tubes was only easily detectable in the sweet spot, but there it added a vertical dimension to the surround.

I'm considering actually using a surround sound system with these to see how good it can get (or go down the tubes -- pun unintended but I'll take it). And frankly the woofers' dispersion cones came from a set of 40w full range surround sound towers that came with a JVC SU-A7 decoder and "rear" channel amp. But first I needed to see if these would work at all, and they did. Maybe well enough that I don't need all that extra hardware. I'm moving them indoors and giving them a good long listen with some favorite old material. But as for the design itself, I'd say it was very successful for a first build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.