The "Force 8" collaborative design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been trying to use box sim today. Not having much luck. A store available here in Oz is Digikey. they sell a peerless tympany tweeter D19 which has similar specs to the Seas 19.
Peerless, D19TD05
Impedance 8Ω
Frequency Response 1,000 to 20,000Hz
Sensitivity 87.7dB 2.83V/1m
Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 1687.9Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 6.33Ω
Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 0.02mH
Mechanical Q (Qms) 1.08
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 1.94
Total Q (Qts) 0.69.
Do you think that will blend with the 1 x SB Acoustics SB12MNRX25-4 (as mentioned in post #60?)
Description Midrange
Le 0.14 mH
Qts 0.37
Qes 0.42
Mag. 0.4kg
Rms 0.5kg/s
Power (RMS) 0-50 Watt
QTY 1
Cms 1.55mm/N
Diam. 100mmØ
Width 123mmØ
Page 13
Coil 25.4mmØ
Re 3.2Ω
Qms 3.6
Inch 4
Impedance (Ohm) 4 ohm
Size 4"
Mms 4.9g
Zn 4Ω
Impedance 4Ω (Re 3.2Ω)
Vas 5.5 L
Sd 50cm²
Prms 50W
Power 50Wrms
Fs 58Hz
Depth 70mm
Sens. 88.5dB
Regards, Tim.

Bit surprised the mid has failed. Have you tested it with a 1.5V battery or a meter?

How does the mid work? It has a little cup-like enclosure on the back doesn't it?

You might have to build an enclosure for a replacement. I should think 8 ohms is preferable. Get your measuring tape out. There are loads of good 4" mids and fullrangers around that might do. SEAS, MarkAudio, maybe SB if 8 ohms.

People seem to struggle with the SEAS 19TFF1 tweeter. IIRC, the HF2000 is a 100mm jobbie.
I used the resistor values shown in this schemmatic in my recent restoration oof my 401a's and found the speakers to sound to bright and forward. Going back to 4.4 and 5.5uf on the mids and 2.2 on the hf seemed to give a better balance for my ears and system. Is there a particular reason why the values were changed?

Does anyone have measurements for the original AR woofers? I have done a bit of searching and cannot find them. There are some dead links in some earlier diy threads however. Otherwise how do I do a boxsim?
So far I think I am leaning towards the SB midrange and the vifa d27tg.

The original Gale bass units are not AR's they are some cheap units sourced from some one in the U.S..They are really poor quality, my units are stamped in a very thin steel and have splits all over them.There are some measurements on one of the Gale 401 sites, I modeled them once and the Q Was over 1 from memory.Any decent paper cone that works in a sealed box is fine, the single coil on the Bass units means they play well into the lower mid range.They still sound remarkably good despite all the compromises made, just shows what can be done by some one with a good ear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.