Wharfedale Dovedale 3 - Tweeters and Mid-rangers replacements - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2014, 12:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wharfedale Dovedale 3 - Tweeters and Mid-rangers replacements

Wharfedale Dovedale 3

I've been given a pair of these speakers. The woofers seem in good condition, I'll post pictures later.

The tweeters and midrangers, however are gone. The ex-owner tried to "open" these drivers and destroyed coils, cones, membrane, everything...

I want to rebuild them, but I don't know about their specs. Any ideas of suitable replacements for tweeters and mids?
Old 6th June 2014, 06:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try EBAY UK.

Some posted at the moment.

Kevin
Old 14th September 2014, 12:35 AM   #3
Champ is offline Champ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl vd Berg View Post
Wharfedale Dovedale 3

I've been given a pair of these speakers. The woofers seem in good condition, I'll post pictures later.

The tweeters and midrangers, however are gone. The ex-owner tried to "open" these drivers and destroyed coils, cones, membrane, everything...

I want to rebuild them, but I don't know about their specs. Any ideas of suitable replacements for tweeters and mids?
Just wondered where you ended up with this project. I have the same problem except only my mid range drives are shot. Looking for a pair now, but I am not that hopeful.
Old 14th September 2014, 04:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Can one of you guys measure the TS parameters of the woofer ?

Do you find that the woofer suspension is VERY stiff when you press the cone with your fingers? Almost like it's stuck ?
Thanks.
Old 14th September 2014, 01:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Can one of you guys measure the TS parameters of the woofer ?

Do you find that the woofer suspension is VERY stiff when you press the cone with your fingers? Almost like it's stuck ?
Thanks.
Another very good question. Yes they are stiff. I have the same problem. Or is it a problem?. This seems like a common thing on these drivers. I am going to try some Rubber Renu on them.

No one seems to be able to answer the question.. is this normal. If it is, fine, if not then I really don't hold out much hope of reviving these speakers, but it would be nice to know before dropping cash non new mids.
Old 14th September 2014, 01:52 PM   #6
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

To get help to replace a midrange, you need to state the cutout size and the diameter of the chassis at least. The volume of the midrange enclosure would help too. How is anyone to say anything otherwise?

Something similar will apply to a tweeter.

I would guess they need to be quite efficient paper units. Shouldn't be too hard really. There are easy ways to adjust level.

I don't expect the mids are anything special:
50W 5in Shielded Bass Mid Range Speaker | Maplin

But you can get sophisticated midranges too.
MIDRANGES
Old 14th September 2014, 02:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
To get help to replace a midrange, you need to state the cutout size and the diameter of the chassis at least. The volume of the midrange enclosure would help too. How is anyone to say anything otherwise?

Something similar will apply to a tweeter.

I would guess they need to be quite efficient paper units. Shouldn't be too hard really. There are easy ways to adjust level.

I don't expect the mids are anything special:
50W 5in Shielded Bass Mid Range Speaker | Maplin

But you can get sophisticated midranges too.
MIDRANGES
You are absolutely right system7, please see attached the specs on the speakers.

The speaker is 145mm or 5.75" to the edge of the cutout. That is including the outside rim of the speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dovedale_3_Brochure_sm-2.jpg (870.0 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Champ; 14th September 2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: add specs
Old 14th September 2014, 04:09 PM   #8
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The SEAS MCA15RCY might do it then:
H1262-08 MCA15RCY

Looks like 3-4L on the mid. About right for Vas of 12L and Qts of 0.25 if I haven't lost my touch on optimal enclosure size. Not hard to attenuate a midrange if the level is too high, because this is a loud 90dB unit.

A crossover schematic would make it all easier, because they tend to all be a bit the same. Sure I saw a picture of the Wharfedale Dovedale III filter somewhere only known to Google. Ah, here it is. Simple three element on mid, and second order on treble, I think. First order bass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wharfedale Dovedale crossover.JPG (62.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 14th September 2014, 05:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
The SEAS MCA15RCY might do it then:
H1262-08 MCA15RCY

Looks like 3-4L on the mid. About right for Vas of 12L and Qts of 0.25 if I haven't lost my touch on optimal enclosure size. Not hard to attenuate a midrange if the level is too high, because this is a loud 90dB unit.

A crossover schematic would make it all easier, because they tend to all be a bit the same. Sure I saw a picture of the Wharfedale Dovedale III filter somewhere only known to Google. Ah, here it is. Simple three element on mid, and second order on treble, I think. First order bass.
Am I able to substitute an 6 Ohm speaker with an 8 Ohm one? I am not sure I would know how to attenuate the driver.
Old 15th September 2014, 03:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Another very good question. Yes they are stiff. I have the same problem. Or is it a problem?. This seems like a common thing on these drivers. I am going to try some Rubber Renu on them.

No one seems to be able to answer the question.. is this normal. If it is, fine, if not then I really don't hold out much hope of reviving these speakers, but it would be nice to know before dropping cash non new mids.
I asked this question because when I first came across the Dovedale driver I thought the 12" driver was stuck. Later a friend got a kit and that was also extremely stiff. Really feels like it is stuck. However it's a normal condition. That's why I want the TS parameters. The key feature of this speaker is that it goes really low and is VERY tight sound ! But the upper range also contributes of course. Nevertheless the driver IS very interesting. I've been trying to get my friend to open up his Dovedale 3 but he won't !
I missed getting a pair on the Net a couple of years ago.
I think you should work at it and find a suitable mid and tweeter. Take your time over it. You should not be in a hurry.
Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!