Wharfedale Dovedale 3 - Tweeters and Mid-rangers replacements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wharfedale Dovedale 3 :)

I've been given a pair of these speakers. The woofers seem in good condition, I'll post pictures later. ;)

The tweeters and midrangers, however are gone. The ex-owner tried to "open" these drivers and destroyed coils, cones, membrane, everything... :(

I want to rebuild them, but I don't know about their specs. Any ideas of suitable replacements for tweeters and mids?

Wharfedale Dovedale 3 :)

I've been given a pair of these speakers. The woofers seem in good condition, I'll post pictures later. ;)

The tweeters and midrangers, however are gone. The ex-owner tried to "open" these drivers and destroyed coils, cones, membrane, everything... :(

I want to rebuild them, but I don't know about their specs. Any ideas of suitable replacements for tweeters and mids?

Just wondered where you ended up with this project. I have the same problem except only my mid range drives are shot. Looking for a pair now, but I am not that hopeful.

Can one of you guys measure the TS parameters of the woofer ?

Do you find that the woofer suspension is VERY stiff when you press the cone with your fingers? Almost like it's stuck ?
Thanks.

Another very good question. Yes they are stiff. I have the same problem. Or is it a problem?. This seems like a common thing on these drivers. I am going to try some Rubber Renu on them.

No one seems to be able to answer the question.. is this normal. If it is, fine, if not then I really don't hold out much hope of reviving these speakers, but it would be nice to know before dropping cash non new mids.

To get help to replace a midrange, you need to state the cutout size and the diameter of the chassis at least. The volume of the midrange enclosure would help too. How is anyone to say anything otherwise? :confused:

Something similar will apply to a tweeter.

I would guess they need to be quite efficient paper units. Shouldn't be too hard really. There are easy ways to adjust level.

I don't expect the mids are anything special:
50W 5in Shielded Bass Mid Range Speaker | Maplin

But you can get sophisticated midranges too.
MIDRANGES

To get help to replace a midrange, you need to state the cutout size and the diameter of the chassis at least. The volume of the midrange enclosure would help too. How is anyone to say anything otherwise? :confused:

Something similar will apply to a tweeter.

I would guess they need to be quite efficient paper units. Shouldn't be too hard really. There are easy ways to adjust level.

I don't expect the mids are anything special:
50W 5in Shielded Bass Mid Range Speaker | Maplin

But you can get sophisticated midranges too.
MIDRANGES

You are absolutely right system7, please see attached the specs on the speakers.

The speaker is 145mm or 5.75" to the edge of the cutout. That is including the outside rim of the speakers.

Attachments

• Dovedale_3_Brochure_sm-2.jpg
    Dovedale_3_Brochure_sm-2.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
The SEAS MCA15RCY might do it then:
H1262-08 MCA15RCY

Looks like 3-4L on the mid. About right for Vas of 12L and Qts of 0.25 if I haven't lost my touch on optimal enclosure size. Not hard to attenuate a midrange if the level is too high, because this is a loud 90dB unit.

A crossover schematic would make it all easier, because they tend to all be a bit the same. Sure I saw a picture of the Wharfedale Dovedale III filter somewhere only known to Google. Ah, here it is. Simple three element on mid, and second order on treble, I think. First order bass. :D

Attachments

• Wharfedale Dovedale crossover.JPG
    Wharfedale Dovedale crossover.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 231
The SEAS MCA15RCY might do it then:
H1262-08 MCA15RCY

Looks like 3-4L on the mid. About right for Vas of 12L and Qts of 0.25 if I haven't lost my touch on optimal enclosure size. Not hard to attenuate a midrange if the level is too high, because this is a loud 90dB unit.

A crossover schematic would make it all easier, because they tend to all be a bit the same. Sure I saw a picture of the Wharfedale Dovedale III filter somewhere only known to Google. Ah, here it is. Simple three element on mid, and second order on treble, I think. First order bass. :D

Am I able to substitute an 6 Ohm speaker with an 8 Ohm one? I am not sure I would know how to attenuate the driver.

Another very good question. Yes they are stiff. I have the same problem. Or is it a problem?. This seems like a common thing on these drivers. I am going to try some Rubber Renu on them.

No one seems to be able to answer the question.. is this normal. If it is, fine, if not then I really don't hold out much hope of reviving these speakers, but it would be nice to know before dropping cash non new mids.

I asked this question because when I first came across the Dovedale driver I thought the 12" driver was stuck. Later a friend got a kit and that was also extremely stiff. Really feels like it is stuck. However it's a normal condition. That's why I want the TS parameters. The key feature of this speaker is that it goes really low and is VERY tight sound ! But the upper range also contributes of course. Nevertheless the driver IS very interesting. I've been trying to get my friend to open up his Dovedale 3 but he won't !
I missed getting a pair on the Net a couple of years ago.
I think you should work at it and find a suitable mid and tweeter. Take your time over it. You should not be in a hurry.
Cheers.

I asked this question because when I first came across the Dovedale driver I thought the 12" driver was stuck. Later a friend got a kit and that was also extremely stiff. Really feels like it is stuck. However it's a normal condition. That's why I want the TS parameters. The key feature of this speaker is that it goes really low and is VERY tight sound ! But the upper range also contributes of course. Nevertheless the driver IS very interesting. I've been trying to get my friend to open up his Dovedale 3 but he won't !
I missed getting a pair on the Net a couple of years ago.
I think you should work at it and find a suitable mid and tweeter. Take your time over it. You should not be in a hurry.
Cheers.
Interesting - where did you friend get the kit? I now see a crack in one of the bass drivers. Looks brittle. Now I have to contend with this:(

Interesting - where did you friend get the kit? I now see a crack in one of the bass drivers. Looks brittle. Now I have to contend with this:(

My friend got his kit from the UK. This was late 1970's. I built the cabinets for him. They were larger than Wharfedale's own Dovedale 3 cabinets, though it was also a Wharfedale design.

You could probably just fill the crack with epoxy glue. Mainly to prevent more contamination within the crack.Maybe epoxy a aluminum strip over the crack.

6 ohms DC makes a 8 ohm nominal speaker. Best attenuation would depend on the exact filter. Work out the schematic and we can look at the best place to put a couple of resistors, if needed. It will actually help to take the impedance up.
Going to have to find a bit of time to do that. Hopefully my schematic drawing skills are good. How would I measure the inductors though. What am I looking for?

My friend got his kit from the UK. This was late 1970's. I built the cabinets for him. They were larger than Wharfedale's own Dovedale 3 cabinets, though it was also a Wharfedale design.

You could probably just fill the crack with epoxy glue. Mainly to prevent more contamination within the crack.Maybe epoxy a aluminum strip over the crack.

1970's sounds right. Can't find anything like a kit for them now. That crack in the surrounds is not looking good. Every time I touch it bits fall off. This makes me think that, although they are stiff as standard, they will get brittle with age.

If I had to redo the surrounds, is foam off the table since that could end up by being much softer and then change the sound signature?

1970's sounds right. Can't find anything like a kit for them now. That crack in the surrounds is not looking good. Every time I touch it bits fall off. This makes me think that, although they are stiff as standard, they will get brittle with age.

If I had to redo the surrounds, is foam off the table since that could end up by being much softer and then change the sound signature?

Note that the original surround is an inverted rubber. That you may not get.
You can use foam or rubber. If it's slightly larger in dia you can always cut it at an angle, overlap the edges and glue it. We have done that to a scan speak 12 inch driver. It's now 9 years or so and it's doing fine.We used rubber based glue that they use to repair cycle tyres etc.
I thought you meant a crack in the frame ! A crack in the surround is something totally different!:eek:
You may just have to change the surround if it's falling down in pieces.
This means that I might get my friends Dovedale3's after all !:)
I'll have to find out how it's doing.

Can one of you guys measure the TS parameters of the woofer ?

Do you find that the woofer suspension is VERY stiff when you press the cone with your fingers? Almost like it's stuck ?
Thanks.

I think my pair of woofers' surrounds/suspension were VERY stiff. Maybe some Silicone grease might help a bit.

But I got real problem with the tone switches at back. These are sealed and any trying to open them is a risk.

If your looking and I'm looking we are in trouble :eek: Not many of them around.
This is why I'm looking at a new replacement option.

My problem is I am going to have to repair the bass drivers as well. I have a pair lined up to buy, but I am also dithering, since this project may end up costing more than a working pair. The stiffness of the surrounds really concerns me since there is almost no give at all, at least on the bass driver that is still whole. The surrounds are very brittle and I cannot believe that is the way they left the factory.

[COLOR="Red"]Anyone have any ideas for replacement surrounds? I cannot find anything that is even a close fit. [/COLOR]

I can at least see inverting the surrounds, if I could find a fit, gluing the outer edge to the top where the green felt goes and then glue to under the speaker paper on the inside. At least that is a plan.

If your looking and I'm looking we are in trouble :eek: Not many of them around.
This is why I'm looking at a new replacement option.

My problem is I am going to have to repair the bass drivers as well. I have a pair lined up to buy, but I am also dithering, since this project may end up costing more than a working pair. The stiffness of the surrounds really concerns me since there is almost no give at all, at least on the bass driver that is still whole. The surrounds are very brittle and I cannot believe that is the way they left the factory.

COLOR="Red"]Anyone have any ideas for replacement surrounds? I cannot find anything that is even a close fit. [/COLOR]

I can at least see inverting the surrounds, if I could find a fit, gluing the outer edge to the top where the green felt goes and then glue to under the speaker paper on the inside. At least that is a plan.

Hi Champ,

You might end up spending money for nothing trying to restore those original 12" woofers.

The Dovedales III are a 45L closed box. And because we can't find a clear T/S info on these drivers, I think it's better to find a suitable replacement for the boxes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.