3 or 4 Way System with Active Crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2014, 11:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile 3 or 4 Way System with Active Crossover

Hello All,

A little here and a little there, there are JBL drivers (2241ís subs, 2225ís mid woofers, 2123ís mids, and 075ís tweeters) a Rane 900 watt 6-pack amplifier and a Rane active crossover in my shop.

The current project is to put this all together as front left and Right speakers plus the 18 inch subs.

At various points all of these parts have been hooked up and functioning however not together.

I am scratching my head over the process. First is there some type speaker protection needed for the tweeters like a capacitor?

Any pearls to offer?

Thanks DT
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:37 PM   #2
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Your xo will only do 3-way stereo ...ac23? The amp will only provide for 3-way stereo as well .... looks like you'll be doing a 3-way plus subs.
Old 3rd June 2014, 01:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello my friend across the causeway...

Can you take measurements of the drivers in the enclosure?

If you can, you can use this to design the crossover filters:
the Active Crossover Designer web page
Old 3rd June 2014, 03:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think you will enjoy reading this speaker build material on the audio heritage website as it has similar goals and speakers to what you describe. ..... you will want to use a different tweeter(compression driver + constant directivity horn).

The following article describes a loudspeaker column designed, built and tested as a proof-of-concept demonstration by Drew Daniels, Senior Technical Staff member of Walt Disney Imagineering R&D department and electroacoustical consultant to the Walt Disney Company, February-March of 1990.

DANIELS' SYSTEM
Old 7th July 2014, 04:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I read your posts with interest, I also read about Danielís System.

Over the last month I attempted to buy two JBL2450 drivers from 123DJ.com. What a pain! They took my money and they told me every week for 4 weeks that the drivers were being shipped, still no drivers. Now I have a refund coming from the credit card/bank.

I ended up buying a couple of used JBL2450ís from the online auction instead.

I like the size and shape of the speaker towers shown in Danielís System. With the parts acquired my build will be with only one 15in JBL2525 per side instead of the two 15ís used by Danielís System.

Also the first effort will be with only one 18in subwoofer.

Charlie,

Do you have anything similar running in you listening room? I will explore the crossover stuff referenced in your post after trying the stuff that I have on hand.

DT

Hide this!Advertise here!