The WVT project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2014, 03:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The WVT project (2 x Satori + Seas Crescendo)

Reference is made to my recent thread " Seas Excel TMM":
The cabinet maker is as born-again having seen the light after years of darkness. He is now in the process of creating a few new holy columns in order to spread thunder and lady's soft voices, healing the non-believers among us.

Last x-mas he visited me telling that he wanted to build another pair.
Lower & slimmer speakers was what he urged for this moment.
This time he would take the concept far further (and beyond)... namely the unconditional WVT concept.

Being much frightened and a bit honored, I bought some beers.
Starting in wrong direction I prepared the tweeter cables.
The cables are Nordost (Dawn, new light you know..) which I bypassed with some nano-carbon/silver cable prototypes. (No longer available).

Do you know the muffin man,
Who lives in Drury Lane?
The muffin man was seated at the table
In the laboratory of the utility muffin Research kitchen.
He enjoyed our Seas Crescendo muffins..

Some people... some people like cupcakes exclusively.
So what's then better than a Satori?
The answer is too simple; pick two Satories.

To be continued..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NordOstekniv.jpg (143.0 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg jaws.jpg (6.4 KB, 401 views)
File Type: png wvt.01.png (617.8 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg wvt-02.jpg (72.6 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by wilbur-x; 2nd June 2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:22 PM   #2
DavidL is offline DavidL  United States
diyAudio Member

"The cables are Nordost (Dawn, new light you know..) which I bypassed with some nano-carbon/silver cable prototypes. (No longer available)."

Seriously? Nordost and nano-carbon/silver cables? Just what do these pricey cables do by the way? Uhhhhhh all I have to say to that is good luck with whatever it is you are attempting. Your post rambled all over the place.
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:47 PM   #3
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ah, I think I get it. Jaws is the muffin man who takes bite out of tweeters...

It's an MTM!

I can hardly wait...but what does the kniv have to do with it?
Old 3rd June 2014, 08:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ramble on ! (Zeppelin)
Yes, it's a MTM.
I already had those carbon/silver cables so this may be the right opportunity to use them.
The knife: For stripping the Nordost cable strands.
Muffin man / Jaws: Might be the perfect assistant biting pieces from the Crescendo in order to make narrow space between the drivers for the MTM setup.
For readers who do not know the Muffin man: Lyrics by Zappa / Captain Beefhart who borrowed the Muffin Man traditional nursery rhyme / children's song of English origin.
Ramblings to be continued...
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Aw, mate, you're in serious trouble if you're listening to Frank Zappa and (particularly) Don Van Vliet IMO. Though I went through that phase myself...

But OMG, who'd have thought that LIKE every other young woman in the World like these days talks TOTALLY like a VALLEY GIRL, like GRODY to the MAX...RIGHT, I am so like OMG!

WVT is Wire Validation Testing, no? Ecoutez et repetez, mes amis, Litz Wire is the one cable that DOES sound different. Multistrand makes for lower inductance and higher capacitance, so it comes out much lower impedance overall. Possibly nearer 8 ohms.

But why do Scandinavians usually name their products after Norse Gods and Valhalla? Well, maybe "Monkey Cable" wouldn't sell so well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monkeys.JPG (23.0 KB, 300 views)
Old 3rd June 2014, 01:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Other names on cables are to example "Shotgun" "Midnight" "Phyton" and other wisely (?...) chosen names.
This particular cable is not named yet, but I notice your suggestion.
The WVT is strictly a construction concept. If you have not learnt about it, I guess this will be revealed during this thread.
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

AW, Phyton is another of those FLIPPIN' deities... Really does NO-ONE (except me) ever have an original idea?

Quote:
Although a human deity, Phyton currently dwells with the Seldarine in Arvandor, though he also has a realm in Ysgard.
He gets about, probably winters in Monaco too.

Quote:
Phyton is most often depicted as a tall, handsome man, slender and youthful-looking, though he can appear as any creature of the forest.
Sounds a bit like me.

Quote:
Phyton teaches that the nature in its natural, untouched state can only be made more beautiful by the hand of mankind. Therefore, gardens, crop fields, and swamps drained for fertile soil are no less wondrous than mountains and forests. He also teaches that animals should be domesticated whenever possible, but those which prove harmful to man or his works should be destroyed.
Probably a ruthless property developer then. Let's hope he doesn't burn down the Norwegian forests for car parks. Possibly upsets his wife by splatting spiders in the bath. The fair sex always want them thrown out of the window, though won't go near them themselves.

Perhaps you should tease us more by starting with small out-of -focus images here, and building it up dramatically, Wilbur? My Thunderbirds International Rescue game started like that when you were tracking down "The Hood".
Old 3rd June 2014, 05:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Going non-Nordic: 13 apostles, Peter, Andrew, Judas, Jesus, Muhammad-Ali or Wurst-cables may be another point of view.
As Mr Jaws has retired from biting services, we had to find another solution.
Pattern shown on photo below illustrates the size ratio between the latter TMM and the WVT. What you see is a slice of "speaker salami" with K-stiffener.
All we need at this stage is two sets of slices; with and without the K. The slice edges are softened at bit to avoid thorns, sawdust etc.
As the inner wall has opposing wave pattern, an irregular wall is formed by placing every other slice upside down. The K-slices are mounted the same way, but with several layers between. Got it? This is a part of an inner cabinet, a vital part of the WVT.

Next issue: Stacking and doping the salami slices
Attached Images
File Type: png ratiowvt.png (343.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: png wvtedge.png (732.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: png malwvt.png (718.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: png Crescendo cut.png (648.0 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by wilbur-x; 3rd June 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 4th June 2014, 04:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Conjugating verbs (Stick, stack, stuck.. ) is difficult
The cabinet maker do not think so, lets continue with todays theme:
Stacking wood, erecting the skeleton of the WVT.
The doping of the skeleton: The stack is soaked with clear floor paint after carefully sanding. So why do the hardworking craftsman bother with this as the skeleton will be an invisible part of the WVT? (Answer key: Hardness, reflective, adhesive surface, moisture resistance etc).
Attached Images
File Type: png slice1.png (590.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: png slice2.png (801.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: png slice3.png (734.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: png slice4.png (741.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: png topgluewvt.png (716.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: png insidewvt.png (768.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png wvtpaint.png (602.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: png paintedwvt.png (777.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 5th June 2014, 10:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Wow that cabinet is an impressive labour of love. I won't ask how much CNC time it cost you!

Hide this!Advertise here!