DJ Speakers.... Worse than PC Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2004, 05:22 PM   #1
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default DJ Speakers.... Worse than PC Speakers

I recently attended a New Year's Dinner where a DJ was used. The sound was just terrible, No bottom end or even Midbass, just a "honking" resonant sound that was highly distorted.
Earlier in the summer I also attended a wedding and was treated to sound that was just as bad.

Has anyone ever heard good sound from DJs? Why do they choose such wretched speakers!

A few years ago, at the last minute I decided to add some music to a dinner for approx 300. I simply rounded up my Larger VMPS subs, put a pair friend's Cerwin Vegas with 15" woofers and a couple of tweeters from the late 70's on top. Dropped in a crossover at 80 Hz, Pooged Magnavox 582, Borbeley 60s for the top and a Leach Low TIM for the bottom. Folks were contnually commenting how good the sound was! Are DJs deaf?
Old 9th January 2004, 05:39 PM   #2
OMNIFEX is offline OMNIFEX  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

Actually Cerwin Vega are DJ Speakers.

They are definitly not Home Audio, and no way close
to Touring Speakers.

As with any speaker, you have top of the line, and, low
line brands.

Also, keep in mind, not everyone knows what sounds good
and what doesn't (Customers buying Stereo's at Circuit
City, Best Buy, or Radio Shack is a prime example)

So, the next time you go to an event and the DJ sounds
terrible, try to educate him/her. If that doesn't work, go
to your nearest Sam Ash, or Guitar Center, and purcahse
ear plugs.
Old 9th January 2004, 05:59 PM   #3
sully is offline sully  United States
Account Disabled

Default Re: DJ Speakers.... Worse than PC Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikett
I recently attended a New Year's Dinner where a DJ was used. The sound was just terrible, No bottom end or even Midbass, just a "honking" resonant sound that was highly distorted.
Earlier in the summer I also attended a wedding and was treated to sound that was just as bad.

Has anyone ever heard good sound from DJs? Why do they choose such wretched speakers!

A few years ago, at the last minute I decided to add some music to a dinner for approx 300. I simply rounded up my Larger VMPS subs, put a pair friend's Cerwin Vegas with 15" woofers and a couple of tweeters from the late 70's on top. Dropped in a crossover at 80 Hz, Pooged Magnavox 582, Borbeley 60s for the top and a Leach Low TIM for the bottom. Folks were contnually commenting how good the sound was! Are DJs deaf?
Yes..I have heard good sound from a DJ...every time I play a gig.

Seriously, a lot of them have no clue as to how to set a system up, they are in it for the living..and a lot of the systems they can buy are just boxes with a woofer, some piezo tweets, and a midrange horn. Major headache, lots of those boxes.

I have found over the years, that the best thing that could be done for their systems is to boost their eq at 40 hz about 12 dB..boost 10 and 20K about 12 dB...Drop the entire rest of the audio band about 6 dB... and then stuff a bar napkin into the ******* midrange horns.

And a lot of the DJ's clip their amps too much, and if they had a decent non piezo tweet....it's long gone...

Many also eq the system so the handheld mike doesn't feedback...sometimes they have to use an omni because anyone who has to use the mike generally keeps it too far from their mouth to use a decent cardoid...

That, unfortunately, makes the system unintelligable...there are songs from late 70's that I can identify from the first drumbeat, and when it takes me 15 seconds to figure out that they're playing "Disco Inferno" instead of "Born to be Alive".....that's bad..

It is an unfortunate fact that most of those "wretched" speakers are that way either for cost, or robustness...as their customers..people like me...abuse the crap outta them..

My small speaks are eminence delta 12's with a selenium dt201ti 2" compression driver x'overd at 5Khz, 3rd order..good for 300 wrms all day and night..even handles ME while I watch the BPM indicator on the amp face (the red one that blinks)
Cheers, John
Old 11th January 2004, 08:37 PM   #4
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default reply

Whilist your on the topic of bad sounding dj speakers,hence the long page.........
Well every year i go to Notting Hill Carnival in London,UK and there is always one stack which sounds so terrible.
Treble stinging your ear with ear bleeding hsssssss sounds,midrange sounding like it's through a megaphone and bass all distorted and you can hear the drivers hitting the back plate.
Just shows the DJ cares more about their top notch mixer,amps and decks and eqs and use lousy speakers--100 piezo tweeters in a large array,6 inch and 8 inch mids in an array and about 8 scoop bass bins and w bins[all old,with rusty metal grilles,and squashed in dustcaps].
The only reason i hang around this soundsystem is because of the rare roots reggae being played ain't played anywhere alse in the carnival and watching them blow up speakers also can be funny.

Now about good sounding dj/pa speakers-- i own a pair of Behringer Eurolive B1520 pa speakers, 260w rms, 50hz-18khz not the most pro but they sound very good.
Opening them i discovered they have very good quality components inside.... Beyma 15 inch bass driver,Selenium 1 inch titanium horn on custom made behringer fiberglass horn,custom made crossover[ two inductors 1 air cored,1 iron cored,4 capacitors all polyproplene 600v,1 resistor 20w and a miniture lightbulb all on blue PCB board]And crossover point is 1.8khz.
And the dual speakons on metal plate has a biampable switch to bi amp them.Only downside is the weight cos they are made of 1 inch thick E1 MDF instead of 3/4 ply,at least it ain't chipboard thank goodness.
And driven with QSC RMX1450 power amp 280w rms into 8 ohm.
They sound excellent in the treble,very good in the bass end ,and fairly good in midrange although boosting upper midrange with 31 band eq helps.:
Old 11th January 2004, 11:51 PM   #5
OMNIFEX is offline OMNIFEX  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

Hey Bull

I very surprised to hear Behringer are loading those kind
of speakers in their cabinets, at the Price Point they have
their suggested retail.

I've learned something very valuable today!

Cheers Mate!
Old 12th January 2004, 02:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Cloth Eared DJ's..........

"Has anyone ever heard good sound from DJs? Why do they choose such wretched speakers! "
Very rarely have I heard good DJ sound.
The typical home/small function DJ systems are typically rotten to the core.
A notable exception was an outdoor rave running per side 2 Mackie active subs and 2 mackie FR cabs - 10,000W total system power.
This system cranked bigtime and was clean, clear and pleasant in the middle of the dance area, and also away from the system anywhere on the property.

In my experience typical DJ's run their systems much too far into overload, and would not know good sound if it were to bite them.
Letting a DJ loose on a club system without limiters is just asking for breakages.

Eric.
Old 12th January 2004, 02:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

yes, my school (middle school) has these dances where the DJ is my math teacher. hes got the crappiest stereo i have ever heard. all it does is distort, no bass, and piercing high-frequncies. the brick walls of the gym don't help matters either, it echoes so much.

thats why i never go to them anymore. and crappy justin timberlake songs aren't what to play to get people there...

I think my laptop speakers sound a whole lot better than his system...and thats saying something.

-Mike
Old 12th January 2004, 03:14 AM   #8
Immo_G is offline Immo_G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes, at a friends 21st she hired a DJ, the sound was quite horrible. Trebel that, as Bull said, just grates at your ears, no bass and a midrange that wasn't exactly decisive. They looked like the premade 'party speakers', just a woofer and a horn.

I preferred her brothers band playing instead of it, i think the DJ liked sitting there doing nothing as well.
Old 12th January 2004, 03:30 AM   #9
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
I've experienced this at all the bars/clubs i've went to (ok, few of them since i don't like them, but still). The sound system is absolute horror. You get this droning "beat" that's loud and as distorted as it gets, no mids, and no highs. So in the end the only thing you really end up making out is the distortion.

Even a local piano lounge (when it was open) had what could only be described as a below average system at best times.

On top of that, our arena where most of the concerts are held at has HORRID sound (still haven't been to the centennial hall where the more prestige and classical concerts/operas/etc are held, but i've heard good stuff about it).
Old 12th January 2004, 03:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to sauuuuuce
This maybe shoud move to everything else....anywho...

I mix sound for a band with some crappy peavey speakers and peavey amps.....sounds as good as they can...I am amazed when I go out on an off weekend and see some band with a rig of jbl's and crown amp's and it sounds like crap. Basically what it comes down to is, some people no what they are doing and some people don't. Every rig has it's place (for the most part) and the people who don't know what they are doing try to get little rigs to to big things. anywho, later.

Hide this!Advertise here!