DJ Speakers.... Worse than PC Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ogp said:
with all this talk of crappy dj speakers, does anyone have any plans/links to some diy speakers I could build for dj use? I've heard good things about both eminence and selenium drivers, but am still too much of a noob to design something myself. If I ended up going active, how easy would it be to toss some drivers in a box and get them to play nicely together?

If you go on the selenium web site, theirs have already designed cabinet for theirs drivers:

For Disco use:

http://www.selenium.com.br/sitenovo/index.asp?page=projetos/default_us.asp&fam_cod_familia=20

For Pa use:

http://www.selenium.com.br/sitenovo/index.asp?page=projetos/default_us.asp&fam_cod_familia=14

For big fat subwoofer:

http://www.selenium.com.br/sitenovo/index.asp?page=projetos/default_us.asp&fam_cod_familia=19

As an old DJ with 15 year of experience I saw almost all .
It is very hard to have a good sound to a party . I can give you some reason :

Almost all people want to hire for this job the cheapest DJ and a cheap DJ means cheap equipment.

The location it is the worst nightmare for a DJ. In many situation best equipment sound like s..t if it play on a bad enviroment.

Power Compresion .
In many situation the peoples ( from 5 beer up ) ask more loudness. The DJ try to push hard the loudspeakers but with no good result .

The DJ don't have a good sound control becouse nobody want to see the DJ in the middle of the dance ring.

A good DJ with good equipment ( very good loudspeaker and amplifiers ) ask for a party with 300 guest from 500$ to 2000$ .

I can give you an example to what means good equipment for a party with 200 to 400 guest.

Technics SL1210Mk 2pcs. Turnables
Pioneer CDJ100 2pcs. CD-Players
Pioneer DJM500 1pcs. Mixer
Shure EUT58 1pcs. Wireless Mic.
DBX Driverack 1pcs . Sound Procesor
QSC PLX3002 2pcs. 2x900w/4ohm amplifiers
2x18" Loudspeaker 2pcs 30Hz - 85Hz (4th order - active)
2x12"+2" 2pcs 85Hz - 30Khz(4th order - active)
15"+1" , 400w Monitor 2pcs Active Monitor
Case , Cable .... etc.

It is just an example .
How many DJ's how play music to a party can afford this ?

The secret to have a good sound is the headroom ( 6 dB to 10dB ) and the know-how to setup the sistem according with party location.

djdan said:

The secret to have a good sound is the headroom ( 6 dB to 10dB ) and the know-how to setup the sistem according with party location.

Also, you have to know the principle of in-phase and out-of-phase and have the required equipment to check this very rapidly and have a 1/3 octave EQ to compensate for the crappy room acoustic =).

Like you said not everybody can afford this, but when I was DJing, I was having my sl1200, my computer and rented my sound systems in professional shop used for big PA touring. Let me says that the sound was powerful and yet delicate and refined.

Francois

While there are many venues and DJs (even here in Vancouver) that know how to work equipment, I think there are many more that do not.

True story: I was dancing in a one of the big hotel night clubs with some friends a couple years back and every 15 minutes or so, the system would stop running. I could tell it was some kind of power circuit breaker since even some of the lights would cut out. After the second restart, I shimmied over to the console to see if it was obvious. As expected, the EQ "goes up to 11" and everything seemed to be plugged into about 3 power bars. I shouted at the DJ, "Turn down the bass about 3dB." The reply came back, "What?" so I repeated myself. "No." So I danced away and shook my head. Of course, it happened again so I walked over and said quietly, "If you turn down the bass by 3dB, you will be using much less power during peaks and just about nobody will notice you've done it." After a quick glare, he did it and of course, the system played until we closed the placed.

:)ensen.

I DJ mainly mixing and blending Drum and Bass in small/medium venues.

My equipment list is:

2x Technics 1210mk2 decks with Otofon Pro S carts
1x Pioneer DJM300 mixer
1x Pioneer HDJ1000 headphones
2x Behringer Eurolive B1520 2 way pa speakers,260w rms each,50hz-18khz for monitor or F.O.H for very small venues/squats
1x QSC RMX 1450 poweramp driving Behringer B1520
1x Behringer Ultracurve 2x 31 band graphic EQ
2x tweeter arrays containing 2 Ring radiators bullets made by Fane and some piezos and a few Eminence APT150 hf horns.4khz-20khz
2x 12 horn loaded mids using Eminence Delta 12 250hz-4khz
2x 15 inch scoop bass bin using Eminence Kappa pro 15 50hz-250hz
1x JB systems 3 way active crossover
1x QSC RMX 2450 poweramp powering lows
1x QSC RMX850 poweramp powering mids
1x Gemini X3 poweramp powering highs[lol need to upgrade this soon]
12u stucco aluminium flight case,stucco deck cases,and 19 inch stucco mixer case.
Van Damme 4mm speaker cable--lows
PROEL 2.5mm speaker cable--mids
1.5mm speaker cable--highs
2.5mm speaker cable--monitors.
Thats basically my whole setup excluding the music [vinyl] and record flightcase stucco aluminium

:D

I do not know for sure if that club DJ was the house guy or not. I'm guessing he was not since there seemed to another guy looking at the equipment during the "failures." But I've always believed that not knowing the equipment is no excuse.

I've never DJ'ed so I don't know how to beat mix LPs or CDs, but I have operated FOH consoles and still co-host a co-op radio gig on weekends. It seems to me that one of the necessary skills is walking into a set-up cold and knowing how to make it do the job. This could mean knowing how to re-position speakers, change mic gain vs channel level to finesse feedback or even re-patching it so malfunctioning components are removed from the signal chain. It's as simple as knowing you can cue something up by physically plugging your headphones into the unit rather than trying to get the "cue" system to work.

For me it's not so much about getting great sound, but getting the best sound out of the set-up. Of course, having good equipment is better to start with and any improvements made in the quality of the hardware are also good to have. But, if you can't make any system with pro-level components sound better than someone's mini-system, then you better start reading up.

:)ensen.

Re: Reply

amp_man_1 said:
tHOUGH i HAVE discriminated MACKIE only in the field of Subwoofers because i have used them a year ago.
Thats why MACKIE is CRAP in SUBWOOFERS

Hey Dude, I don't know if you know but, Mackie Owns
EAW, and, RCF
RCF, is highly regarded in the Sound
Reinforcement Business. It is possible, you wanted more
than what the subwoofer could give. But, to call them
crap, is a matter of opinion. The majority of Mackie
Subwoofers are bandpass designs. So they won't play
loud compared to a reflex, or hornloaded sub.

Mikett said:
So the conclusion is that not only do the majority of DJs not know how to use their equipment but are also tone deaf.

Should I also say their clients and the general public too?

Yes. The majority of the DJ's do not know how to use their
equipment properly. But, you gotta keep in mind, unlike
musicians, they don't have to tune their guitars to get the
right tone. As a matter of fact, knowledgable Audio people
are hard to come by.

The majority of clients are used to listening to their cds
on their Aiwa Mini System. Could you expect them to
hear the difference? :xeye:

The Mackie subs do sound pretty dissapointing considering their cost especially the 18 inch active sub costing around £2000 pair.
All the Mackie Active PA subs use a bandpass design which seems to give low output and although their drivers[RCF Precision] are very good it can't be those resorting to poor bass.
More like the in built amps are not of the highest quality,because I've heard many active pa speakers including JBL EonG2 and they all seem to lack bass weight.
For £2000 a pair you can get sometime much better than the Mackie active subs with heaps more bass like stuff made by Yorkville and the EV stuff.
So Mackie for speakers and subs is overpriced and not that good,compaired to the decent 24.8.2 console made by Mackie.

On the subject of PA speakers with 2 woofers (as seems to be the rage today!)

"Most 2,5-way designs I have seen are basically a standard two-way to which an extra woofer is added for more bass. So you get a large inductor in series with the mid-woofer lowering efficiency and therefore the maximum dynamic range. The second woofer is then added parallel also with a large inductor in series (something like 10 to 15mH). The result is nice deep bass from a relatively small floor standing cabinet but the speaker never seems to come alive."

Taken from http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Auriga.html .

I still say that the JBL active with the double 15"ers (or was it 12"?) sound really, really good. I think we ought to clone them. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.