Panel resonance control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few years ago I came up with a system for making my cabinets panels less resonant. It is easy, cheap and effective. If you cut rings of sonotube about 1" to 2" inches in height in several different diameters and using a rigid glue, glue them to the insides of the cabinet sides you will create a panel that resonates as if it is much thicker than it really is. These rings take up very little volume and also break up standing waves. Using 2 or 3 concentric rings offset from center does the job. The sonotube ring is incredibly rigid along its height and as a circle is self supporting unlike a straight brace which can twist. Try it, you'll like it!:cool:

5th element said:
Erm OK I like the sound of that , Im going to be building a enclosure in the close future and I will try it out.

However there is one problem, I live in the UK where can I buy sonotube or an equivelent over the other side of the pond.

Cheers
Try a concrete supplier as they are used as former tubes for concrete pillars.

Instead of throwing away your driver cutouts, glue them on the inside of the side panels offset from the centreline. Works well and costs nothing.

Attachments

• mdf cutouts.jpg
    mdf cutouts.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 192
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Just want to clarify one thing. These Sonotubes are made out of paper?

Are all these Sonotube advocates saying that just using a paper tube is what we need for enclosures and bracing?

Or are there plastic Sonotubes as well?

If paper is in fact the material, (and the concrete forms I see in the home improvement stores all are made of paper), then do we reinforce the paper in some way to add stiffness?

I know that the cylinder is an intrinsically stiff shape, but still.......paper.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.