diy bookshelf speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2014, 11:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default diy bookshelf speakers

as a DIY project I was thinking about buying some old bookshelf speaker cabinets from Ebay or second hand. as long as its not the elcheapo press board crap from Sony Pioneer etc, I think they will be pretty solid. then pick up a set of drivers and crossovers from the likes of madisound/speakercity.com. I have the the tools to refinish the cabinets but I desperately hate to cut perfect circles without a router.
Old 27th May 2014, 11:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Vintage Pair of Bookshelf Stereo Speakers HH Scott 176 BL | eBay
Old 28th May 2014, 04:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great !
(mmmhh That Scott woofer has a wrinkle on the membrane, so a bad start...)
(mmmhh Wood, particle board, MDF, plywood...they are all obscene materials for making enclosures but they're quite workable and economic : try to make an aluminum or carbon fiber box by yourself..! )
(mmmmhh boxes boxes boxes, it seems that packaging and transporting had
put Audio in second place; and what about driver placing on the baffle ? Diffraction at/from the edges ? )
Old 28th May 2014, 03:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I used a pair of Fisher XP-7 boxes for double Eton 8-480 boxes. (2 drivers/box) By the time that I was done adding bracing, a laminated panel on the back, etc. I wished I just built new boxes. Also, the drivers you choose will probably not fit exactly in to the pre-routed holes.
Old 29th May 2014, 07:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Messing with an old box where you cannot add braces if needed, cannot change location, diameter and depth of the drivers, cannot change volume, etc, compared to build a new box which can be built as you desire is a pure waste of time IMHO.
I don't know the current prices where you are, but I can buy locally (and I did), a very cheap router (20 or the likes). While not suitable for heavy work, it is reliable and I'm able to use it for all the cabinet work with good precision. All I needed to build was a guide for circles using a 5mm height piece of MDF.
I strongly suggest going this way.

Ralf
Old 29th May 2014, 08:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Why not try your hand at some test boxes. Just use a jigsaw or hand saw. The hole does not need to be perfect
Old 29th May 2014, 09:11 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It is impossible to do a rebate with a jigsaw. In my first 2-way box I did the holes with a jigsaw and the rebate for the tweeter by hand using a gouge lent to me by a professional violin maker (the woofer frame was for a surface mount). It worked well because of the wood I used for the baffle, but it was a long process. As I said invest some moderate amount of money in a router and a couple of bits and you are done.

Ralf
Old 29th May 2014, 10:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

You don't really need a router since a trimmer rebates as well. It is also a lot cheaper and shares the same shank diameter. However, power would be an issue if you need it done fast.

Click the image to open in full size.

I hope this helps.
Old 30th May 2014, 09:39 AM   #9
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think the easiest speaker to upgrade is the 8" plus 1" tweeter variety.

I've had a heap of fun with these Sony E44 which I picked up in a charity shop for 20:

You can't lose, because if the drive units are broken, it's easy to find a replacement. I gave the Sonys a good crossover, and they are one of the nicest speakers I have ever heard now. The chipboard cabinet is GOOD ENOUGH.

These Monitor Audio R300-MD boxes cost 60, and I think one of the bass units is failing badly, and the 94mm tweeters were certainly fried, but again, it's not hard to fit a new bass unit to a 185mm cutout, or a tweeter to a 94mm chamfer.

After:

A prebuilt cabinet will save you a lot of work, but you can really do something with an old speaker if you pick it wisely. Just don't pay too much. Upgrading it will knock you back a bit. Happens I'm a bit of a whizz with crossovers, but I'm always willing to help.
Old 31st May 2014, 08:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

thank you guys for your help. I just picked up a pair of B&W 685 speakers yesterday for $550 US, I know it goes against the diy community but I couldnt build a better speaker for that price. I still have time to finish my diy subwoofer project and let everyone know how it turns out.

Hide this!Advertise here!