DIY compact home synergy discussions here. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2014, 03:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY compact home synergy discussions here.

So I'm pretty sure the impressive nature of Synergy systems have a lot of people thinking about them but not many experimenting as their overall size is prohibitive for most myself included. The 'widest' speaker I can live with in my space is roughly 12" given the drop down HT screen and the proximity to side walls. A corner system would work too allowing for an increase to 14" wide but would force a set axis result, something I'm not fond of if the results require position adjustments.
So this and that being said, it would be nice to get some feedback on those working or contemplating a small home inspired Synergy system. Fire away!
Old 21st May 2014, 03:59 AM   #2
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

With that restriction, I'd suggest a clone or similar concept of SH Micro.

Or a simple coaxial driver in a proper box.

A waveguide (or horn) can't be that small to get a proper proformance of a wide enough frequency range.
Old 21st May 2014, 04:45 AM   #3
Flaesh is offline Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

I found somewhere here list of very beautiful useful great brilliant hints what to do if some horn seems too large:
Quote:
"..b) Change the mission and raise [Fl] so a smaller horn may be used.
c) Just make it too small, and simply ignore the consequences.
d) Do not use a horn; the venue does not support its use."

Last edited by Flaesh; 21st May 2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 21st May 2014, 11:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
With that restriction, I'd suggest a clone or similar concept of SH Micro.

Or a simple coaxial driver in a proper box.

A waveguide (or horn) can't be that small to get a proper proformance of a wide enough frequency range.
I believe a 12" horn can produce near constant directivity down to 900hz which IMO is all that is needed in a home environment. Of course I wouldn't expect a three way horn but they're would still be value in a two way that could play to 500hz. There's some very interesting compact full range drivers coming from Tympany that might fit the bill.
Old 21st May 2014, 02:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think you should go with a corner horn solution. The corner has well known benefits and should be satisfactory - ask Wayne Parham and Bill Cowan, for example. And it solves your size problem as you get that 90 degree horizontal coverage all the way down to DC, plus corner gain. At 14" wide, you won't have much volume inside the box, though. The corner position does lock you down but perhaps some room simulation will make you more comfortable.
Old 21st May 2014, 11:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

IMHO the big problem with a '12" synergy' is that there are a fair number of compression drivers that can get down to 900Hz on that size horn directly - the complexity of adding mids on the horn doesn't buy you much.
It may be possible to extend this down to 500 if you're willing to give up sensitivity, but the gain from the horn will be dropping and you're likely to need a fair bit of eq to make it work. Danley definitely runs his big 3 ways way below where the horn is providing any gain though, so maybe the approach isn't as difficult as I'm imagining.

When I had my U15's I was in a tiny room and so I placed them directly in the corners, and they worked pretty darn well. After that, I definitely had the same idea as nc535 which is to build the synergy directly into the corner. Unless you can cut into both walls you can't get exactly 90 and will have to transition out to the wall at some point, but if you have a room with 2 available corners it's definitely something to look at.
I think a 'line array synergy' could also work in a room corner using tiny neo tweets and some of the smaller full-range drivers as mids. Much bigger undertaking, though.
Old 22nd May 2014, 01:00 AM   #7
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk123 View Post
IMHO the big problem with a '12" synergy' is that there are a fair number of compression drivers that can get down to 900Hz on that size horn directly - the complexity of adding mids on the horn doesn't buy you much.
That's exactly what I meant.
Old 22nd May 2014, 01:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I dunno....I think the whole point source concept might well be worth the trouble. There's this little driver from Tympany that a 12" horn should easily accept

Tymphany 50F25AL01 2" Aluminum Full Range Speaker | 264-1180

Four in two by two should provide reasonable sensitivity for home hifi use and could easily extend to 500 hz or lower. And given their size and ability to play high, don't think we'd have to push the XO lower that 2khz.

With the mention earlier of Arrays, I've wondered what a compact versarray would be like for home use....say a pair of OEM Fountek Neocd2.0s stacked and flanked with 4 of these peerless on either side would be.

Last edited by mayhem13; 22nd May 2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 22nd May 2014, 02:47 AM   #9
unaHm is offline unaHm  United States
diyAudio Member

For line arrays you could look into something like the MCLA (Murphy Corner Line Array), or the SLA (Sihort Line Array) from Bill Fitzmaurice.

I've been looking into the 'indoor' Synergy speaker design too (after going completely the wrong way on a single-driver horn!), and one that looks quite good is mtg90's...and he uses the 69 cent Sony 5.25" woofers with a soft dome tweeter!

Bill Waslo's design is cool too - 24" wide, but with Tony Seaford's enclosure it'll fit into a corner relatively well.

Sadly I can't find any of the 69 cent drivers to try out the first design, as that's about all I can afford at the moment (unless I could sell two Eminence Alpha 8a drivers). Hopefully I can contribute more soon, after I've found some sources!
Old 22nd May 2014, 04:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
There's this little driver from Tympany that a 12" horn should easily accept

Tymphany 50F25AL01 2" Aluminum Full Range Speaker | 264-1180
Look at the motor on that thing! Parameters aren't ideal, but not too bad either. 2*Fs/Qes=529 gives us a ballpark number to shoot for when picking mid drivers for a Unity/Synergy......that comes from waaaay back in the midrange for Unity thread.

You'd need to attach threaded studs on the horn to mount it.

That said, why don't you do what Bateman keeps talking about? Get a qsc horn (turn it sideways to meet your width requirement), the mids you linked to, a cheap CD, and let us know how it goes? You could do it for less than 3 bills if you already have amps and an active xo. That's not counting woofers of course.

Hide this!Advertise here!