Audax HM170C0 - any opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The HM170C was used with the HD3P in a kit speaker (KLS10) from World Audio Design here in the UK. The x-o was at 4.5kHz with a 2nd order on the low pass. I built a pair in 98 and was impressed with the clean treble and good sensitivity (about 89dB) from a small (~8 litre) box. Measurements by WAD showed there was no dip at the x-o so the carbon fibre can get that high (sounded good too).
Ian

The HD3P sounds very clean and detailed, I think Audax had great hopes for it, but for whatever reason it never really caught on and has been discontinued. I thought it looked great too but I was constantly afraid that those delicate gold domes would get broken which would require a total replacement (no disassembling this unit!) and they weren't cheap. I haven't had the chance to compare it against other good tweeters - my KLS10s were stolen 4 years ago and now I'm using more modest SEAS tweeters. The HD3P is the favourite tweeter of one of our moderators (Pinkmouse) who has it in another WAD design (though a 3-way).
Cheeers
Ian

re: Audax HM170C0

I just picked up a few of these drivers to test as I no longer have the means to easily design & build my own custom drivers. Soon as I finish setting my my new lab & workshop I'll build some prototype designs to see how they sound. The only problem I see so far is I can't find a shielded version?!?

There are other problems with crossing over that high, with a speaker that size the dispersion will be extremely narrow, like a flashlight. Also, the "center to center" distance will be high relative to the wavelength so the waves could only be in phase/time aligned in a small sweet spot, if you move up or down you'll move out of that spot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.