Seos 12 + Faital Pro two ways.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2014, 04:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeakerScott Send a message via MSN to SpeakerScott Send a message via Yahoo to SpeakerScott
Default Seos 12 + Faital Pro two ways....

So, after I finished my DIY Synergy horns I got a commission for some two way speakers to go with a EL-34 based tube amp. The SEOS12 horns came to mind, first and then it moved on from there.

I paired the horns to the same PRV D290's I used in my Synergy's...and for the woofer I picked a Faital Pro 12FH520.

The bass alignment is a moderate EBS, I'm at work so I don't remember exact volume/tuning frequency. In room the speakers reach into the high 30's...with an extremely tight sound.

Still not done tuning the crossover yet, I've done a ton of emulations using SoundEasy.

I thought I'd post a bit about tuning crossovers....which involves juggling a ton of different parameters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaker et.jpg (269.7 KB, 170 views)
Old 8th May 2014, 04:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeakerScott Send a message via MSN to SpeakerScott Send a message via Yahoo to SpeakerScott
Default Lots of crossovers...

So I've done a lot of crossovers for this thing...probably hundreds of minor revisions and 30-40 major revisions.

These two pictures show the frequency response and crossover transfer functions of one of the first crossovers, and one of the last, which is highly likely to be the final crossover. (If it's not the final, I believe it'll just be fine tuning some values.)

I compare the frequency response of the two designs to show the similarity of the frequency response even though the crossovers are completely different. The sound of the two designs is also completely different. The first, with the lower crossover pushed the tweeter a little too hard in the upper mid-range leading to harshness especially on male voices, and anything with a trombone.

For Frequency response Red = low crossover point, Green = high crossover point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FirstAndLast1.jpg (232.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg FirstAndLast2.jpg (224.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 8th May 2014, 04:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Even within a given crossover topology and transfer function there is opportunity for adjustment. Knowing that this was going to be powered by a tube amp I wanted to keep the impedance reasonable across the board. The first version of the higher crossover point I did rolled off in impedance starting at roughly 3kHz dropping as low as 4.8 ohms. I wanted to keep that above 6 ohms to make best use of the 8 ohm amp taps as possible.

With a little effort I was able to figure out why the impedance was dropping, adjust values and crossover circuit topology to maintain the same transfer functions and raise impedance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Impedance 1.jpg (232.8 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Impedance 2.jpg (183.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Impedance 3.jpg (192.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 8th May 2014, 04:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

And finally a few construction pics....the veneer is 1/4" "narrow" grain bamboo. Finished with 8 coats of pre-cat nitrocellulose lacquer with no dyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_n3msu45GDw1rh8droo5_1280.jpg (216.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_n3msu45GDw1rh8droo8_1280.jpg (223.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_n3zopwDtm81rh8droo4_1280.jpg (229.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_n4eswoqBic1rh8droo5_1280.jpg (232.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_n4eswoqBic1rh8droo8_1280.jpg (220.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_n4eswoqBic1rh8droo3_1280.jpg (231.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 8th May 2014, 06:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What do the HF/LF acoustic slopes look like?
Old 8th May 2014, 07:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
What do the HF/LF acoustic slopes look like?

4'th order Butterworth....ish....sorta....

Scott
Old 8th May 2014, 07:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerScott View Post
4'th order Butterworth....ish....sorta....

Scott

Which if I remember correctly puts them in the L-R family. SoundEasy doesn't allow for 4'th order L-R passives...sigh. Sound$@!*
Old 8th May 2014, 08:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What is the acoustic xover freq.? Sorry, I should have just said "I'd like to see the acoustic slopes if you don't mind posting them sometime" .
Old 8th May 2014, 08:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
What is the acoustic xover freq.? Sorry, I should have just said "I'd like to see the acoustic slopes if you don't mind posting them sometime" .

I'll try and post them tonight...I don't have access to that computer right now. Crossover frequency is higher than I had initially intended...~2.4kHz...2.5kHz...don't remember exactly.
Old 8th May 2014, 09:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That's what I was guessing from the filter. I guess that probably means around a 3-4dB dip off-axis around there*, so do you not wonder if the difference heard was the difference in upper-mid reflected sound levels, rather than a struggling HF driver? I ask because that's happened to me a couple of times with this style of speaker.

*Relatedly, I just reminded myself what the polars for the SEOS 12 look like, and it looks like it has a little bit of a bloom horizontally up there.

Last edited by dumptruck; 8th May 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!