diyAudio reference speaker project - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2008, 02:30 PM   #301
jamtin is offline jamtin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info Rabbitz, good to see another novocastrian here.

I'll have a look at 6.5" drivers as well if the box does'nt need to be much bigger.

Thanks for the tip on the Seas tweeter. Is Aranmar the Aus distributor for Seas ?

Regarding design goals, I noticed that the response in WinISD using the drivers and dimensions specified in the Wiki (9.5L) was a not flat, thought I'd stuffed it up. I dug out your LDG I downloaded a while back and checked out vented box design. Looks like I've got a fair bit more reading to do about alignments etc

I'll move onto the crossover after the driver & box is sorted, so there'll be plenty more questions...
Old 24th June 2008, 05:27 AM   #302
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yep.... Aramar are the guys for SEAS.
http://www.aranmaracoustics.com.au/

There's quite a few Newcastle guys around here.

When designing a box, you just need to tailor for the response curve and F3 you are after and most times that's not necessarily flat to suit tastes, baffle step or room loading. There are other factors of course such as xmax, power handling, group delay etc and it's about picking the right compromises. Not rocket science and mostly common sense.
Old 7th March 2009, 04:56 PM   #303
diyAudio Member

Default Finally!

After such a long time I finally finished a "prototype" of these speakers.

In between I built a pair of Jay Kim's speakers using the SB woofer and little Vifa tweeter.

Anyway, I'm impressed with how this little speaker sounds. I used the singular because I've only built one so far. I have the one I just built on one channel and my Dynaudio Contour 1.1 on the other channel. Surprisingly they are a good match for the most part. Their frequency response isn't an exact match but close enough to play around with. I have the back clamped on for now but I'll glue it permanently later.

At first I only had part of the flared tube in the port and there was some harshness. After I added the rest of the tube it sounds great!

Thanks to all who contributed to the design, especially Rabbitz!
Old 8th March 2009, 03:47 PM   #304
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your kind words.

Mine are still in use in my office and are the longest serving of my DIY speakers and are also still used as a reference point for new designs. I've changed the tweeter on mine to some Scan Speaks only because I had some left over from another design and is bit of an over kill for the design.... but hey, why not.
Old 14th May 2009, 08:35 AM   #305
diyAudio Member

Heya rabbitz,

I have a pair of P13's and some XT25's kicking around that I picked up cheap.
Was thinking I might throw them together in your 'large' wiki reference box.........

Do you have any clues on a x-over for them ?
I was going to try the single 5uF cap but I dont think it will work with the XT25.....

Regards
Old 14th May 2009, 09:06 AM   #306
diyAudio Member

Try these instead

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260395041526

The SEAS tweeters should be easier to work with from recent conversations with Rabbitz

regards
Ted
Old 14th May 2009, 09:18 AM   #307
diyAudio Member

Yeah you're probably right , but , I just wanted to use up what I had in-hand....
Old 14th May 2009, 09:29 AM   #308
diyAudio Member

I have made that same mistake, wanna swap the p-13s for a pair of P-11s, they cross over a bit higher 3.7/4k maybe easier to do.

Regards
Ted
Old 14th May 2009, 02:04 PM   #309
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andrew01
Heya rabbitz,

I have a pair of P13's and some XT25's kicking around that I picked up cheap.
Was thinking I might throw them together in your 'large' wiki reference box.........

Do you have any clues on a x-over for them ?
I was going to try the single 5uF cap but I dont think it will work with the XT25.....

Regards
The 5uF cap will not work with the XT25 for sure as it does need a lot of help in a crossover.... more than I'm prepared to do. Last month I tried the XT25 in this speaker and was not a good match with too many nasties from the XT25 below the crossover point. It looked good by the modeling but didn't match up in reality. I didn't spend too much time on it by adding correction circuits and other fixes.

Dropped in a 27TFF, a redesigned crossover and some tweaks and it's a cracker.... a real smoothy and sweet. The XT25 went to ebay.
Old 14th May 2009, 02:29 PM   #310
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55
I have made that same mistake, wanna swap the p-13s for a pair of P-11s, they cross over a bit higher 3.7/4k maybe easier to do.

Regards
Ted
When I first read that Ted I thought you wanted to swap some P13s for some P11s.... doh... <puts on glasses>.

The P13 with the 27TFF crosses over just above 3k and has an overlap of over 3 octaves. Allows both drivers to work well within their operating range. I was a bit worried and thought the 27TFF would need to be crossed over higher as it has a highish Fs (2 x XT25) but it handles the frequencies below the crossover point with ease and no nasties.

The XT25 just needs a lot of work and higher orders etc due to it's lower end behaviour. This will give you some idea of what's needed. Without this sort of effort it just doesn't want to roll off and believe me you don't want to hear below 1k on this tweeter.
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/VifaPL14WJ+XT25TG.htm
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZD5.html

Hide this!Advertise here!