diyAudio reference speaker project

I've hung around here for a couple weeks and hadn't even noticed that Wiki existed, much less the usefulness of it and it seems like I'm not the only one. Making it a bit more obvious would encourage people to check it out and get more activity and a more useful area there.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Go here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.html

Check out:

The "Nebula" which uses the XT25 tweeter, and PL 18 woofer.

The "Eros" which uses the same woofer and the
SS 2905/9500 tweeter

If these are going to be "reference" enough to catch the interest of the "experts" here then they need high quality drivers.

I nominate the Vifa PL 18 woofer. It seems to be really highly regarded and not as long in the tooth as the P13 WH, and a bit bigger to handle bass better.

I am also very intrigued by the XT25:
1. It's new so needs work to learn how to use it best
2. It is reputed to sound very good in the Audio Physik and Krell speakers
3. It is difficult to get right.
4. For potential quality, it is a reasonable price- around $50 ea.
5. It can cross over pretty low.

The fact that it isn't just another tweeter and that it's tricky to get right will appeal to the gurus.

Total cost of drivers for a pair: $230

First thing to do is build a "Nebula" and everyone critiques it..

Another XT25 speaker. He doesn't seem completely thrilled by the outcome.
http://www.quadesl.com/okara.shtml

Nebula and Eros

The Nebula looks ideal due to not having to cut your own wood. The Eros would be a neat design, although I've read alot of criticism about the MTM design over the years. Nevertheless, I've been happy with my MTM center channel for HT use. It does not perform well on music, but my particular MTM was not designed for music.

I don't want to start a major war here, but is there a feeling that a speker using the MTM design can be a good audiophile-quality speaker for music?

One of the difficulties is that all of the speaker gurus have moved above and beyond the simple 2 way box loudspeaker. It will be very difficult to get experienced loudspeaker designers interested, unless perhaps we are using new or excellent drivers.

Besides I'm sure many of our speaker building friends have a handful of 2 way designs, albeit undocumented, and they've rather not start all over again.

For instance, after the Proac 2.5 clone my next speaker project will be multidriver, and will be bi/triamped.

For me the ultimate reference speaker would be something along the lines of the Linkwitz Orion, (open baffle, active XO and bi/triamped) or Dynaudio Evidence (multidriver WMTMW array) - ie. cost no object, do whatever-it-takes to create an accurate loudspeaker for all musical styles.

This is the kind of loudspeaker that will get loudspeaker gurus interested about building...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There IS a lot of suspicion around here about MTM speakers, It's trendy not to trust them, and I understand this. At the same time, most of the very high end commercial speakers are MTM variants it seeems to me.

My point was to show 2 designs that use the same woofer.
If you first built a 2 way MT then later you could buy a second mid woof to play with the MTM concept using the same tweeter. Different cabinet size of course..The idea would be a continuous stream of crossover ideas.

The same way that there are constant varients on the gainclone.

At the end, we would have versions that are MT and MTM and actually might have a real opinion on the subject.

You require only one crossover on a 2 way so it isn't too expensive to whip out the soldering iron to try a new crossover variation, then excoriate the designer. Lots of opinions, attacks,
the resident golden ears could make one and weigh in -good fun.

TKTRAN:
As I mentioned before, the XT 25 is a tough nut to crack- plenty of challenge to the advanced designers if they really know their stuff. You are right , the same old 2 way ain't gonna excite them.

No matter what, the new speaker has to use the size of one of the Parts Express fancy new cabinets: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=302-722&DID=7That way the newbies can whip a good looking pair together quickly and it will look great.

Others can make their own. Also people can get together for group orders and get better prices on drivers and components.

If we can mount the 2 way tweeter very near the top of the cabinet, then if you want to try MTM, you can just buy or make a second box of the same size, just put a woofer in it and stack them to create the MTM. Of course you need a different crossover- but since the crossover is external of course, it's not hard to change either

Wanna try push push? put the cabinets back to back and a new crossover. Iguess we'd better put ports if any , on the front!!

Multiple Projects

Now that I'm thinking about building, I realize it will likely take me more projects than absolutely necessary to find a set I'll keep forever.

Which leads me to the question: what do you guys DO with the projects you've completed and moved away from? If I start by building some nice bookshelves, they'll replace my current towers (Infinity Overture 2's) in the HT setup, and given that they will just be front surrounds, I'll be happy as long as they sound decent.

I'll have to keep the Infinities until I build or buy much nicer speakers to bring out the full potential of my McCormack gear. So in a couple months I'll try building towers. But it's almost a given that the first iteration won't be exactly what I'm looking for, so that first set of towers will have to go. What do I do with that set? I've read DIY speakers have no resale value, but what a waste to just destroy them.

So what do you guys (and gals) do with speakers you don't use anymore?

Thanks!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So we need module suggestions to experiment with:

Here is Kuei's take on the subject:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23208&perpage=15&pagenumber=11

The only version of this Seas driver I see at Madisound is the video shielded one at about $225 a pair, so it isn't cheaper than high quality separate woofs and tweets, but the coax arrangement can be superior-price isn't the only point. Also, a single cap xover is sure cheap!! You can get a high end one.

Since so many of us are into high efficiency drivers and most newbies will be using gainclones or small tube amps, what would be an appropriate choice? Are the the Fostex 206's happy in a ported box? Open baffle? less than 200 pr.

Remember, the idea is that the clever guys here are supposed to be doing the heavy lifting, and a single full ranger doesn't allow much tweaking.

A Jordan JX92S is a final module suggestion. Over $200/pr and not too efficient in most designs. Crossed over to a decent woofer might be pretty interesting, and sounds like a lot of fun to play with. Lots of projects with this around here including Nelson's J-Low horn.

what would make any of the multi driver ideas shine would be a biamped gainclone/crossover spelled out to the nth degree.

x.onasis

So let's begin, I'll have a stab at the starting point (haven't built this combination).

Woofer: Vifa P13WH-00-08
Tweeter: Vifa D27TG-45-06
Crossover: 5uF capacitor on tweeter as suggested
L-Pad: required?????......... 2db variation
Vb=5.2 litres plus 0.3 litres for driver and port, internal volume 5.5 litres, Fb=73.7 Hz, F3=78.8 Hz
Box: 175mm wide x 280mm high x 187mm deep?????? (5.5 litres)
Port: 39mm dia x 96mm (easy to get PVC pipe)
Port at front so can be placed against a wall if desired
16mm MDF
Driver location on baffle???????

OK, time for those who have built this combination or the Gurus to step in.

x.onasis, as far a comparison to the Peerless 850488 woofer, IMO the Peerless goes deeper (F3=59Hz) and has very low distortion figures (see tests on Linkwitz Lab site). Was quite a pleasant surprise and only tried this woofer after having success with a 6 1/2" CSX. The Vifa P13WH is probably better in the midrange and excellent roll-offs and I believe very easy to work with. Might be an older driver, but a good driver is a good driver and it doesn't matter when it was designed. Not fair to do a comparison of the tweeter as the Peerless 810653 is a special design only available in Australia to suit the HDS drivers. I needed a lower F3 as this is used a second system without a sub. The Vifa combination would work great with a sub and be spot on when set to small in a HT setup with the sub taking over from 90Hz down.

I think to the title of this thread has mislead some to think it's to build a supersonic you beaut reference speaker instead of a excellent speaker for the Newbie that can be used as a reference for other projects. Maybe further down the line there might a you beaut reference but lets get this one on the Wiki first.

Variac-

I like the way you're thinking in terms of a higher end kit that might be a _real_ reference speaker, and trying to challenge the experts with using the XT 25, or other newer, better drivers. I would kinda like using an Aurum Cantus Ribbon tweeter and a mid/woof that goes lower than the P13. But....?

The SEAS (Say-aahs) is a sweet looking driver. Can you post more specs?

I especially like the suggestion of multi-amping and the idea of the gainclone/crossover "spelled out to the nth degree"

This is a system/thread many of us would get very exited about. In fact, if you hang out here, and are not thinking about it, you're not paying attention.

The problem I see, is that most newbies are not, as you say,"using gainclones or small tube amps", but rather just wanting to build their first set of speakers powered by perhaps, a hand-me-down or otherwise less than a high end amp (or maybe a new surround receiver), and they just want to get their feet wet, and do the best they can with their first cash outlay in this hobby.

If the newbie starts reading in the electronics sections of this site, and begins to understands as you do, the benefits of active crossovers, the sharing of amp designs that's going on, not only will the task of learning all this stuff be daunting, but the DIY system they might build, will be months, if not years away.... and the cost$ will be quite high. This may be the _best_ way to go, but not why this thread was started.

Truth is, if you want very good sounding system, and you factor in the cost of your time researching, modeling, the cost of tools to do measuring, building, tweaking, and finishing, etc, you'd be better off just buying it. Just like when the newbie asks,"what speaker should I build?" you say "a well tweaked 2-way kit." (I have heard the Proac suggested, if they've got real money)

I think Mr. 10 (he he) has given us some good links (thank you very much). If the small bookshelf isn't the most desired, maybe the TLb might be. Most who've built them haved raved. But then our Reference (RS?) gets pricier. Your suggestions are indeed good ones, lets explore them.

Here's another kit using the P13 but with Scan Speak D2905/9500 North Creek ....no knocks, just not in the spirit of this site.

Maybe when the experts get back from Vegas, we might get suggestions on the "Better DIYA Reference", I'll wait patiently for them too, to contribute.

rabbitz, sounds good.

Very good...straight forward and simple.... sloped front baffle for time allignment?

The Vifa combination would work great with a sub and be spot on when set to small in a HT setup with the sub taking over from 90Hz down.

I believe you are exactly right. I've found that activeX is the way to go and the first step in that direction is a sub, but please remember I'm a builder, not a designer, I'm seeking as much input on this design as the newbie.

I think to the title of this thread has mislead some to think it's to build a supersonic you beaut reference speaker instead of a excellent speaker for the Newbie that can be used as a reference for other projects.

Right again, maybe Planet 10 wll change the title of this thread to "Reference speaker for the newbie"... I'm quite surprised at the interest generated.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
Are the the Fostex 206's happy in a ported box? Open baffle? less than 200 pr.

There have been reports of successful BR ststems, but the 207 is probably happier in a BR

rabbitz said:
L-Pad: required?????......... 2db variation

TLb & monopole version FR (note the baffle-step in the monopole)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

I have a variatin of Nebula here.

For a long time I had tried to tame XT25 without getting satisfied.
I tried the filter used in Nebula and wam bam smack my *** and
call me Sally, that tweeter is great.

Well I have bigger boxes (1 cu. ft.) great standard size for pre fabricated cabinet and my woofer is vifa MG18SK. I like the MG line better (more pleasent mid) than the PL line and they are a tiny bit cheaper. I'm really happy with them and I have blind tested them against my AE1's and the only difference is that
the MG18/XT25 have alot better LF response (the AE's have a little bit better imageing). Great DIY when $300 speaker could keep up with $3K speaker.

Box 28liter (1cu. ft.) well damped
Port D5cm L12cm flared both ends.
Fb:37.5Hz F3:39.5Hz
X-over same as Nebula R1 changed 7.5 Ohm

Thinking of trying some XT woofers and different parallel X-overs
in the speaker when I get time. Sure that it is alot of room for tweaking and improving, but the base is good and pretty cheap.

Just my little input.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
First, I agree that most of the first time builders of this speaker will be powering it at first with their receivers or similar what have you-good point. So the most basic version needs to have a passive crossover. It is human nature to want the most simple solution to a problem, but the single cap isn't always the answer.
Often it will make the upper highs nice, but the tweeter also tries to reproduce the mids lower than it should, at reasonable volumes it runs out of travel, and the highs tighten up and get harsh. I'm sure it works on some drivers OK though.

When you are crossing over very high (8-10k) like my Basszilla varients then the cap can work great.

The Okara and another speaker using the exact same drivers, the Ariel ME2 by Lynn Olsen, have complicated crossovers because their designers believe that's how they sound best.
The also XT25 has to have a multi order crossover because it won't roll off in the mids by itself!

This is a classic combo, but the tweeter is pretty pricey so in creases the start up costs.

This does bring up another point: On the Okara, the crossover becomes more expensive than the drivers. In a previous post I
have a link to Shelton Stokes Okara varient using the XT25

I believe that I have stumbled on a cool second step though-the gurus come up with an active biamped crossover using gainclones. Viola! a high end upgrade path for the newbie.
It actually might be cheaper to use the Gainclones active xover than buy huge inductors, etc.

I don't see a lot of guru's getting excited about this thread so far....

I also am concerned that the speakers proposed are all generally not like what is discussed here mostly, and not really in the spirit of current thinking on DIY Audio. The themes I see around DIY Audio mostly are: 1. open baffle 2. very efficient 3. full/wide range 4. horns

Some of these are mutually exclusive, but I can imagine speakers such as:

- a Fostex 206 open baffle with a woofer box
-a TL push push Fostex ($400 pr. :bawling:

-the little Jordan in a box as in the Atlanta contest winner, an upgrade option would be it crossed over to a woofer box. (or the J-Low horn) Another version would be like the Tlb -bipole, push push. Yup, I guess I'm beginning to think that everyone should just buy a pair or 2 of Jordan Jx 92 drivers.. whoops-gotta work:bawling:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Whoops forgot to give props to Nobody Special and his success
with the XT25 and endorsement of the Nebula concept. I like hisproposal of a 1 cu ft box, and if he has actually tried both woofers and prefers the cheaper one, then that's all good too.
All drivers would be about $200 pr
Of course there is no requirement that it be a serial crossover- others can try the parallel approach.

Also, I forgot the respond to the Seas question. You have to go to the Madisound.com website and select catalog. They have some specs there, and a pdf file also, and I believe a link to Seas.

Edit: here's the Seas info: http://www.seas.no/seas_line/coaxial/H1144.pdf

cool photo:

http://www.seas.no/images/Høytaler bilder/h1144_t18re_coax.picture.htm

The upside to the Seas is that it can be treated similarly to a full range driver, the installation in a cabinet is easy, yet has some room for crossover tweaking, and more importantly bi amping later. It would also be an easy way to produce a push push bipole. The concentric aspect is apparently effective in getting coherent sound. It is also uncommon here in the US so there might be more interest in exploring it. With enough interest, we might get it as smooth a crossover as a fullrange, without the high frequency breakup. It has more travel than most full range also, so could it work better in an open baffle with equalization?

As to what to do with early speakers when you move on to other designs? Well , if you start with good drivers, you might go pretty far without ever requireing driver upgrade. The usual solution is to use them as part of a home theater setup. Also good for gifts to your kids or nephews, girlfriend (careful!)

Woofer tried

I have tried the following woofers with XT25
Focal 7w4411, great but focal tho..
vifa PL18
vifa TC18
Peerless 831510, always love their LF lacking details tho...
I even tried a 3way with XT25, MG10SD and Peerless 831858.
But it might be taste but I prefer vifa MG18, do I have to say that I'm kind of a vifa freak.

On the way I have tried to biamp with good result, but my first Idea was to build them for a friend and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to buy an other amp. The thing is that I want it to be as simple as possible.

Well next weekend I will try to build and try the Okara filters. Ordered a pair of XT19, to try in my setup, the cheaper the better.

/Magnus

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mr. 10;
Dave-
I don't keep up w/ all the Fostex, but is the FE127E good?
Still in the $30 range.

It seems flatter than most, it is over 90dB. It's even shielded.
Seems like a good compromise in range price and efficiency.

Although some say that the Wiki isn't for a list of speaker plans links, I think it would be perfect for the job. While researching this thread I have come to the realization that there are a lot of beginner speakers out there. Maybe if you guys agree, you could start a Wiki on Speaker kits and plans links. Then we could all post our links, end up with a generous list, AND get non-threatening experience with the Wiki. I know I would be willling to explore the concept if all it involved was addin links to a list. If you need more moderator encouragement, compare the projects listed here with the sad number listed in the links area

:eek: