diyAudio reference speaker project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2004, 05:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to PHilgeman
If this is really going to happen, I would have to add a few things.

First, I would look at the PL14 instead of the P13. The MG14 from vifa is another option. I think vifa drivers are a good choice since they are available in most countries. Seas drivers seem to be pretty easy to find as well, so the CA15 would be an outstanding choice.

As far as tweeters go, Again, a vifa or seas. I would go with the D27TG35, it seems to have a good reputation.

For the XO, I would shoot for second order slopes, and good phase integration. The latter is paramount for a cohesive speaker.

Id put it all in a 9L ported box. If it is too big, not enough people will build it.

-Paul Hilgeman
Old 8th January 2004, 06:04 PM   #12
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

I might be wrong, but I feel most newbies want a proven design with all the volume, port sizes, xo details so they can go away and build whatever it is, sit back, turn up the volume and enjoy their creation and feel proud of what they have done.

Most newbies I've spoken to don't want to get heavily involved with theories and design and seem to lack to confidence to do so. They just want to build a set of speakers that will work well and that they can enjoy. Some will be encouranged by this to go deeper into design etc.

Come on you Peerless guys, I'm being out numbered here by the Vifa clan.
Old 8th January 2004, 08:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I am new and agree with rabbitz. I have yet to build my first system because of a lack of confidence. There is so much technical information out there, it is hard to decide where to start.

The last thing I want to do is recieve the parts, and say "OK, now what?". I also think that if the project doesn't go well, I will probably not try again.

A proven, detailed starters project would be very helpfull.
Old 8th January 2004, 09:02 PM   #14
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well documented designs already exist for the 'newbie',
the problem is the 'newbies' don't seem to be able to
find them or insist on picking two or more random drivers
and then asking how to get them to work together.

Having another design available won't change the above one bit.

sreten.
Old 8th January 2004, 09:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Maybe what's required here is a "Loudspeaker Kit" forum where people can share there experiences with others on loudspeaker kits. People could also ask question by starting a thread as they would in the general loudspeaker forum, but others would know that if it's in this forum, the discussion should be limited to kits only. Others could start a thread to showcase their successful kit projects so others could have a selection to choose from with at least some foreknowledge of their possibility of success.
Old 8th January 2004, 09:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Sreten

You are correct about the troubles in finding these projects. I thought for sure that when I became interested in this subject, there would be an unbelievable amount of projects available. There may be, but they are hard to find. And, when you do find them, they tend to not be detailed or easy enough to understand for someone just starting out.

As much reading and time I have spent researching, I still have no idea on how to read a crossover diagram, and then wire it. There is definetely not much "break it down" info out there.
Old 8th January 2004, 09:13 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Information on anything is notoriously difficult to find - on any site - not just to do with audio. Before anyone shoots me down in flames hear me out.

The oft used argument is that people should search. This is true (and i always do myself - ive got to be honest and say that in electronics/software ive learnt most by searching and reading and using my brain - i must admit there are many lazy people who dont search - but there are plenty who do). But how is a newbie supposed to know precisely what they are searching for? They are a newbie. Hence they probably dont know what the theil-small parameters are let alone what the mean. Often a schematic can be found - but often a schematic that requires understanding of 'obvious things'. (this is a basic human fault actually) Something more complete for the newbie would be a good idea. Unfortunately most people who are capable of doing something like this generally have neither the time or the inclination. I would if i knew enough!
Old 8th January 2004, 09:25 PM   #18
ftPeter is offline ftPeter  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm relatively new to audio myself. Last fall, the student chapter of IEEE at the University of Illinois put on a speaker building workshop which we felt was an overwhelming success. The speaker we used was the Dayton BR-1 2-Way monitor system. We chose this system because the kit is very simple to assemble and was easily available from parts express. We broke the workshop into two parts: a one hour theory session on friday afternoon followed by a build day the following Saturday. The Dayton kit included detailed instructions for construction and required relatively few specialized tools except a soldering iron and optionally a crimper. The instructions covered a great deal of theory in a simple manner starting from explaining the response curves of the drivers and how that related to the implementation of the crossover. Many of our participants started out with absolutely no knowledge of audio outside of plugging speakers into the back of their computers but by the end everybody had a good understanding of setting up a component stereo system and also walked out with a great sounding pair of speakers to boot! The only drawback to this kit was the crimped on cable connectors for internally wiring the drivers to the crossover were difficult to make a solid connection but we solved this by soldering the wires to the crimped connectors and hot-glueing on top of that for further stability. I'd recommend this kit to anyone starting out who wants to get their feet wet in DIY audio without spending a great deal of money.

cheers,
-peter
Old 8th January 2004, 09:30 PM   #19
Nielsio is offline Nielsio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Come-on, we've all been there, and we've all made it through.

The people that not get through aren't interested enough. (also goes for many other examples next to audio)

What, in my opinion, would be an optimilisation, is fixing up the links section of diyaudio.com, because a lot are broken, and a lot more interesting exist.

For instance, very nice links:
http://www.speakerworld.de/ (endless rabbithole of diy projects)
http://www.kingston.neostrada.pl/speakerbuilding.html
Old 9th January 2004, 05:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Question First-Time Project

What a perfectly relevant thread for me. OK, I'm ready to try my first project. The extent of useful education I've had on the subject is Physical Science in 9th grade. That was 18 years ago. So I'm worried. Worried first and foremost that I'm going to plug the finished product in to my system and blow something up.
But I'm smart enough to know I'm ignorant about this and I need to follow someone else's directions to the letter. So I'm gonna try this despite the fear.

I'm looking around the net...let's start small, doing some stand-mounted speakers for mostly HT use. I have decent equipment driving them, and I want them to sound good. Rather good, in fact, because I could go buy any number of decent-sounding speakers for 200 bucks a pair. No, I want them to be better than that. But whose design to use? There are tons out there, by people and companies I've never heard of. What do I do if I finish the project, plug in the speaker, and through no fault of my own I just don't like the sound of the speaker? I guess I could try to sell them, but I'd probably have to take a loss. I don't think many of us can afford to do too many projects where we take a loss.

I'm considering trying the newby-friendly Dayton kit mentioned earlier in this thread, but will that kit significantly outperform the countless $200/pr speakers out there? Sure, ultimately that will be determined by the listener, but I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this kit.

Oh, and since I will eventually try to build some very nice floorstanders to mate with my McCormack gear (complete with revisions from Mr. McCormack), I'd love to get input on what kits would mate well with the RLD-1 pre and DNA .5 amp. Thanks again!
Thanks for starting this thread -

Hide this!Advertise here!