diyAudio reference speaker project - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2004, 01:32 PM   #141
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dave:
That speaker's the Krix Euphonix.

x. onasis:
Good to see you are still fidling with this speaker. I've heard a very good P17 + D25AG combo using a 1st order on the woofer and 2nd order on the tweeter crossing over at about 3000Hz.

I have to agree with Dave on the 0.5 woofer added to the back for BSC. After I tried it (on a different design), I'm now a convert. To do that to this design:
Vb=12 litres (leave the width at 170mm)
50 x 76 port (positioned about a third up from the bottom)
Fb=63Hz
F3=69Hz
0.5 woofer placed on back in line with front woofer
1st order xo to 0.5 rear woofer using 1.9mH inductor (BS 676Hz)
5uF cap still on tweeter and front woofer has no xo
This would be a different sounding speaker altogether with some useful bass especially with a bit of room loading. The mid bass and lower mids would really come alive.

Jay:
The series xo is not copyrighted. Zeta=1, 3225 xo, resistor in series 10ohm, inductor 0.7mH (DCR < 0.28ohm), 3.3uF cap. As with all series xo's, 1% calculations and 99% testing and tweaking. These are starting values only and drivers do lock in nicely with a series xo when you hit the sweet spot and even if you are a bit off as all that happens is the xo point and slope changes but the integration is always there.

Another one I've seen is 2800 xo, 0.42mH (DCR < 0.28ohm) inductor, 4.7uF cap, no resistor.
Old 7th April 2004, 05:19 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
IMO few tweeters can be made to work well with a single cap, only the lowest-fs high-end ones that don't sound harsh when pushed hard. IMO the D27TG45 isn't one of them. Although it is described as being low-fs, AFAIK recent production units have consistently higher fs than spec. Thoughts?
Old 8th April 2004, 06:44 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
Default WinISD box modeling of the P13 using Vifa specs and North Creek measured values:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winisd.jpg (52.1 KB, 1418 views)
Old 11th April 2004, 11:42 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

I've taken a hard look at the Peerless 850488. I must say a just-as-good alternative to the P13, maybe better, according to Linkwitz measurements. Results show much lower distortion figures than the P13, but not at the expense of a smooth frequency response and roll-off. This is a rarity in my book.

Well, I realize newbies don't care all that much for low distortion, but we're all for better speakers, right? And I suppose the Peerless is just as easy to cross over...
Old 12th April 2004, 12:49 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

The Peerless 850488 is the one I use in my smaller projects (see post #8)..... great driver. IMO better than the P13 and goes lower as well.
Old 12th April 2004, 07:32 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

rabbitz, is that tweeter still available? And are there any other Peerless tweeters suitable for this design (that is, as good as the Vifas)?
Old 13th April 2004, 04:02 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Hi coolkhoa

That tweeter's only available in Australia and basically is a special version of the 812687 and is supposed to be designed to compliment the HDS woofer........ sounds nice though. Has a rising response from 8kHz but levels out....... helps the off axis.

The Peerless 811827 would be OK but if I was doing it again I would use the SEAS 27TFFC or Vifa D27TG-45-06 or Vifa D25AG-35-06 as they would be more suitable for the series xo. The crossover would be different for these drivers and the last version I built of these had different values (R=9.2ohm, C=3.15uF, L=0.5mH) for a bit more laid back sound.
Old 13th April 2004, 04:17 PM   #148
Bricolo is online now Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

What about something with seas drivers
CA18RLY + 27TDFC
or for smaller ones, CA15RLY + 27TDFC
Old 24th April 2004, 06:31 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bricolo
What about something with seas drivers
CA18RLY + 27TDFC
or for smaller ones, CA15RLY + 27TDFC

SEAS standard woofers (poly) should be easy to work with, but are they exceptional in any manner? Though a good alternative I'm sure...

BTW does anyone have measured parameters for Peerless 850488? Just curious to see how it measures up.
Old 24th April 2004, 08:28 AM   #150
Bricolo is online now Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

It's paper, not poly

The good thing is that you can find them for less then 45

Hide this!Advertise here!