Put speakers on concrete slab or rubber pad ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2014, 02:57 PM   #1
xymox1 is offline xymox1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Put speakers on concrete slab or rubber pad ?

Im involved in a project building a room and we have the option to:

1) Pour concrete pads and place the speakers on concrete slab that is part of the foundation.

2) Pour as above but put 40 durometer machine rubber or some material later and place the speaker on that.

3) Put 40 durometer machine rubber and then pour concrete blocks to sit the speakers on

Which is the best way and why ?
Old 6th May 2014, 04:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I vote for #2 because it includes #1. My experience with speakers that aren't solidly mounted (i.e.: rock back and forth when reproducing signals) is a loss of signal definition.
Old 6th May 2014, 05:59 PM   #3
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

really soft feets
Sonic Design SD damping feet
Old 6th May 2014, 09:00 PM   #4
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

You don't want the speakers to be one with the floor you want to decouple them as effectively as possible. I'm using industrial strength spongy foam and its working great.
Old 6th May 2014, 09:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Use an option that doesn't rule out the other options, because you want to try everything!
Old 6th May 2014, 09:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

4) Save you money by ditching the concrete and buy bass traps instead.
Old 6th May 2014, 09:05 PM   #7
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker dave View Post
4) Save you money by ditching the concrete and buy bass traps instead.
Or maybe some type of floating floor over the concrete that's insulated. It can be difficult to get good sound when dealing with a lot of concrete. My friends system sounds dead down in his basement.

Last edited by SS4927; 6th May 2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 6th May 2014, 10:42 PM   #8
xymox1 is offline xymox1  United States
diyAudio Member

I should have been more complete with my description.

The room has been designed from scratch by a really good room guy. We have nice bass traps planned. The floor is a acoustically engineered floated floor. The entire room was built for 2 channel reproduction.

Speakers currently slated to go in are YG Acoustics Sonja 3's, but we have also discussed Magicos and over time others. Typically these speakers weigh like 500-700lbs.

We dont like the idea of putting these heavy speakers on the floated floor. Almost no matter what you do the heavy speakers + floor and materials will have various resonate peaks as a system and the speakers might wobble some. To get really good performance from these speakers the idea is they need to be perfectly still.

So... We are talking about bringing up a pedestal when we pour the concrete for the room so that its flat surface is level with the finished floor. Then we have a stable very strong and immovable platform for the speakers to sit on. We could then use any form of pad or feet or any decoupling we wanted to. We could also just spike them right into the concrete.

*I* think this is the best way. However we have other suggestions. Like pouring a concrete block on site the right size and sitting that on rubber and then sitting the speaker on top of that. So the concrete is decoupled from the floor yet strong and dampened.

So... why NOT just couple the speaker to the floor ? Im not sure I understand why not ? What is the down side ?

But I think the idea of pouring the pedestal with the slab and then putting any decoupling we want on top of it is a good idea. Again there is a foot thick acoustically engineered floated floor for the whole rest of the room. The pedestals will just come up thru that and be flush with the finished floor.

Everybody is in agreement that we will be bringing up a pedestal for the turntable to sit on.

Last edited by xymox1; 6th May 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What are you trying to do with the floor for the speakers?. Minimise structure-borne sound driving the room surfaces, provide a static base for the speakers or something else?

If you want to acoustically isolate something then it is a simple sum involving stiffness and mass. If the suspended mass is speaker+concrete rather than just speaker then the resonant frequency will be lower and provide more isolation at lower frequencies.

Hide this!Advertise here!