2 -Way BookShelf Dayton Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got speakers at home for testing now.
my conclusion is next:
I damped box with sonofil and some pyramid foam. (I get some plim plim noise when box was completely empty and without drivers)
I hear problems, loss off aronud 250hz to 500hz and hi tones. (I use EQ, corection for now) & i need better amp (I use dynavox vr 307 hybrid now)
Crossover is 3rd order. I will try more experiment with that.

this type of granite is good material for box.
Drivers:
Midbass is quite greedy but too cheap for this project
And i will never use dome tw again! ''screaming disease''
Go for ribbon magnetostat or some AMT

So if you guys try this, you better use super drivers !

For entry level (beginners) It's not so bad afterall
They go deep but litle too much agression on mid and tw for me!

Regards

A few things.

First, the shape of the enclosure will have a strong effect on the measured frequency response and also the sound that you hear. In particular the external shape.

The narrow baffle needs to be taken into account in the design. That's "baffle step". Many references to it here.

The edges of the box, if sharp act as secondary radiators, more as you up in frequency.

Second, the inside of the box has a profound effect on the midrange, in this case the main driver. Random "filling" material will not give good results. The internal reflections, especially with a very stiff material, are going to be strong and undamped. So, the choice of absorptive material inside will also have a very big effect on the frequency response and how it sounds.

The dimensions also will have an effect, WRT to strong standing waves and so cancellations and peaks in the resposne - unless those waves are somehow reduced (in a small cabinet,all the more difficult to accomplish).

Third, the location and cross sectional area of the port plays a strong role in how a ported enclosure works. The area becomes more important with SPL, with insufficient area, one gets problems. With too much area one gets too much midrange "leaking out". The location shown in the CAD rendering might not be the best, and the size of the port seems likely to be a bit small.

Fourth, the xover needs to take into account the actual acoustic response of the drivers. It needs to do this both looking at the combined response through the xover region, and WRT to the xover freq vs. freq response flatness of the each driver vs. power handling/SPL (especially with the tweeter). Then the phase relationships and "time" based on the acoustic center in the baffle + xover can be seen in the impulse response. Getting that optimized will greatly improve the perceived sound.

So, the "box" itself (within reason) is the icing on the cake, not the cake, imo.

Of course you can't "fix" flawed drivers, so starting with known "good" drivers is always a plus, but sometimes what is being heard comes from a range of other problems, like the ones I mentioned above, and not the drivers alone. Sometimes.

Otoh, I really like that you can work with stone like that! :D
What do you use to bond the stone?

_-_-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.