vintage Sony speakers made under liscense in canada? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2014, 11:38 AM   #11
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
would anybody have any info on these as to wattage? or detail specs on the drivers?
I doubt it. But it looks like a child of its time.

The bass will be high efficiency with a rigid surround I expect. It probably has good natural rolloff around 3kHz. It looks like lowish inductance from the small voicecoil, probably Le around 0.6mH, but I could be wrong on that. The 3" and 2" cone tweeters get 2.2uF and 1uF probably.

The bass won't take more than about 20 watts I expect. It's closed box, isn't it. And quite big at that. But I don't suppose it goes very deep with a cloth surround.

I have had a lot of fun giving this sort of speaker a proper crossover for a two way. It then sounds incredibly good. Efficient too.

Last edited by system7; 20th April 2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 20th April 2014, 11:59 AM   #12
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

That bass/mid mounting is distinctly odd. FWIW it would probably
work better as a two way with the mid omitted than it does as
a 3 way, the x/o is too crude and has too much driver overlap.

rgds, sreten.
Old 20th April 2014, 12:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

when i brought these orphans out of time home from the "thrift" store the one that worked surprised me with how sensitive it was, which intrigued me.the non working one turned out to be a corroded input terminal.
so after giving them a listen for a while and liking them it didn't resolve my curiosity as to "what's in there"
the mdf boxes are kind of ratty and moisture swollen so cutting the backs off was no big deal.
so think i'll forge ahead and give them a new home just not sure what kind?
the 18.5 x 10.5 x 8.5 inch "doghouses" that they are aren't that big so upsizing their new home is probably in order along with better x-over.
Old 20th April 2014, 12:41 PM   #14
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The cabinet should be pretty similar to the original I'd think. It's odd that they glued it all together with the drivers mounted on the inside. You'd want some to get some access normally for maintenance, without having to smash the box up...

These were some Sony E44 I picked up with a mere 2.2uF on the mylar dome tweeter. I guessed the woofer was well behaved since it ran full range.

Click the image to open in full size.

I gave it the barest minimum bass crossover that satisfied phase requirement:
DIY with Kef and Celestion

I guessed the tweeter wouldn't need much attenuation since levels were right in the first place, and so it turned out, 2.2R is series/22R shunt was near enough. I have built variations on this with cone tweeters and they work well too.
Old 24th April 2014, 11:10 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

i think the smaller cut out on the bass driver was intentional cheap/crude method of changing tone and level on the bass driver.
without driver specs it will be hard to do anything other than reproduce the box.
Old 27th April 2014, 12:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

well i made an attempt at measuring T/S parameters i think i'm in the ballpark (my antique test gear and hasty/sloppy methodology made for large differences in results)
ss610b: Fs:69hz Qts:0.7 Vas:30.9 liters
so what would you do with a driver like this....?
i'd still like to find any sort of hint as to wattage.
Old 27th April 2014, 07:40 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
so what would you do with a driver like this....?
i'd still like to find any sort of hint as to wattage.
Open or infinite baffle or an aperiodic box.

Wattage is not really all that relevant or important. They likly don't needmuch and could likely be melted down fairly easily with unjudicious useof the volume control.

dave
Old 28th April 2014, 12:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

don't know enough about open baffles or have the right listening space (me thinks)
with the high Vas i'd have to go big (huge) in order to stay flat down low no?(i should maybe re-do my measurements and calculations a few times)
so what's the scoop on "aperiodic"?
Old 28th April 2014, 07:13 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
so what's the scoop on "aperiodic"?
Big box (at least Vas), and then make it leaky, then damp the leask for flattest impedance hump or use GM's clik test. You are trying to flatten the humpin response caused by putting the driver in a box (with a 0.7 Qts it won't be too bad, which is why just a BIG box will work too.

dave
Old 29th April 2014, 10:33 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

i was trying to convince my wife to let me convert our bedroom closet into a new home for these she told me to make boxes big enough to move into with them....

the click test is that the ol' David B Weems spdt switch with a battery and 10 ohm resistor?

so far verifying my measurements bears out that Vas
so how big to start? the original box was something like 18 x 12 x 8 with the undersized driver opening

Hide this!Advertise here!