Crossover impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The speaker configuration of musical instrument amps like a Marshall or a Fender are different from monitor speakers. They are designed to create a "sound" of their own.

Many have peaks or dips in frequency response to make them "stand out" or "get out of the way" of other instruments and vocals. The band decides on the "sound" they want on stage and chooses amps for each instrument accordingly.

This mainly applies to small bands who hand carry their equipment. A major band would use stage monitors and a mixing engineer to tailor the sound of each instrument.
I already know that, but when he says that the curves look nice what does it mean?
That's the opposite of saying the sound of that speaker SOUNDS nice. :yawn:

The curve just represents how the speaker sound :)
Hi,

Also FWIW electric bass combo's never have
a x/o on the bass unit, only on the tweeter,
very often the tweeters are peizo, and x/o
design for them is not straightforward.

If a combo has a tweeter and the extension cabinet
is used in parallel, you can omit the tweeter from
the extension cabinet, and add a switch to boost
the tweeter level, or add an L-pad for variable
tweeter level, if either option is really needed.

rgds, sreten.

That´s right, my combo crossover doesn't have any inductor, just a cap, the tweeter is piezo , i suppose the resistor is a fixed attenuator. So the right option would be a L-pad for the tweeter n my combo, and no tweeter in my extension.

Would a change of the piezo in my combo into a 8 ohm tweeter speaker do require any enhancement of the x/o ?

Hi,

FWIW the resistor just rolls off the top end and prevents
a low impedance top end and the capacitor is actually
acting as an attenuator. Piezo's are tricky buggers.

IMO don't complicate it, just add a single driver 8
ohm extension cabinet to go under what you have.

Amplifier EQ will take care of the rest of the issues.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.