Opinions wanted... 7" Seas vs 7" Dayton - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2014, 10:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions wanted... 7" Seas vs 7" Dayton

Please let me know which driver you have used and your opinion of how it is working in your speaker. I'm asking a very open ended question on purpose because I am new DIY building and don't have anything to reference to. I'm looking to develop a subjective sense of the two brands in that size. Metaphorically speaking, are we comparing a Corvette to a Camaro?.. or a Ferrari to a Corvette?.. or... Thanks!
Old 18th April 2014, 11:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I was directed away from using Seas drivers, in favor of Scanspeak.. Many say Scanspeack has better quality drivers.
Old 18th April 2014, 11:57 PM   #3
kouiky is offline kouiky  United States
diyAudio Member

I have read the complete opposite. Oh, the internet!
Old 19th April 2014, 12:04 AM   #4
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

For some objective tests:

Zaph|Audio
Old 19th April 2014, 01:45 AM   #5
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieleeMorton View Post
I was directed away from using Seas drivers, in favor of Scanspeak.. Many say Scanspeack has better quality drivers.
at the end of the day is a matter of preferences.

BUT.. for first time DIYer, SEAS magnesium cone is more difficult to work with, their SEAS Prestige line is more "user friendly" though
Old 19th April 2014, 03:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Check out Troels Gravesens website, there are many excellent designs there using both Seas and ScanSpeak drivers.

Best of luck

Peter
Old 19th April 2014, 08:25 AM   #7
jakja83 is offline jakja83  Norway
diyAudio Member

Your thread is very "open". Seas are very good drivers overall, but the Magnesium-ones have a breakup that is pretty difficult to tame. Many like the the newer ones.

E.g. http://www.dynabel.no/Resource/File/...0-%20H1571.PDF
Old 19th April 2014, 04:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

So far it seems the 7" Seas drivers are good stuff, but as a beginner I should be mindful of the magnesium units having greater cone break up that will need to be dealt with. I have read/ studied the graphs and designs on Zaph's, MarkK's, Troels Gravesen's, Paul Carmody's, Curt Campbell's, and the manufacturer's information. With these, I feel like I've got lots of objective information to work with.

The U18RNX/P was one of the first Seas drivers i thought would be a good choice for me to design on my own. The ER18 has been used in several design that look real good.

The RS180 metal cone is used in several designs that look real good too. I imagine the cone break-up is similar to deal with like the magnesium units.

One could almost buy 2 RS180's for the price of 1 U18RNX/P. Subjectively, is it worth it?

I have already purchased Dayton RS180 paper cone woofers and (accidentally: I meant to order the RS28F) DC28F tweeters. Subjectively, the woofer is good enough to start with. Sounds as good or better than the commercially speakers I've had for years. The tweeter is disappointing, crash cymbals sound more like jingle bells! Maybe it's the way I have the crossover set-up. I'm going to keep playing with them before I change them out for the RS28F, 27TDFC, 27TBFC/G or who knows.

More thoughts guys!! It may seem crazy to ask for opinions but it is what I'm looking for. Thanks again…

Keith
Old 19th April 2014, 05:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend View Post
The tweeter is disappointing, crash cymbals sound more like jingle bells! Maybe it's the way I have the crossover set-up
I'd put money on it that the crossover is wrong.
Old 19th April 2014, 09:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
I'd put money on it that the crossover is wrong.
Agreed.

The RS line from Dayton are awesome pound per sound drivers and even then are hard to beat without spending significant money.

The RS180 is notoriously difficult to work with however, requiring very low crossover points to address it's issues ( 1.5 kHz etc). The paper versions are much less of a concern in this regard.

A lot of SEAS prestige drivers lack any kind of shorting rings, but do come with excellent build quality and venting. The drivers probably have better long term power handling than the RS line, but that's about it.

The newer 7" prestige drivers do have shorting rings though, the ER18 and U18 are two examples and are a definite step above most of SEAS other prestige offerings.

So far this probably seems like it hasn't been much help, but that's because it really isn't. You cannot just lump all the drivers from one manufacturer together. Some are excellent, some are not quite so and some I'd avoid when compared to the competition. Some are stand out products when asked to perform a specific task, but are not a good idea when asked to do something else. You really do need to pick the driver for the application (regardless of manufacturer) if you want to get the most out of your design.

Hide this!Advertise here!