Pics new 4-way Azura horn system, plus BIG bass horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having built numerous projects including Tannoy GRF, Carfrae Little Big Horn, numerous Lowthers, GOTO, Altec and Klipsch...I'm now embarking on a radical new 4 way system, featuring:

Azura 340Hz horn and JBL 2445 drivers (with large 2 inch throat)

Eminence Lab12's 12-inch subs (2), with rear facing baffles for corner loading

Large new mid-bass horn taken from Martin Sneddon's design, plus tweaked...will be 1.5m tall, with mouth of 85cm x 85cm, and geature Altec 515 15-inch woofers.

Tweeter TBA, likely Azura 1,000Hz and suitable 1-inch compression driver.

Dual MiniDSP's to run the xovers.

Holton Precision Audio six channel power amp.

The Azura 340's are sounding very nice indeed....and I'm 70% through the build of the mid bass horns. The Lab12 subs are completed, and recently painted in mid gloss white to match the horns.

The mid bass horn upright tower section will be white, while the mouth is in Birch Ply, and I will leave natural colour.

xover points are:

Subs 20-90Hz
Mid bass 90-450Hz
Azura 340 horn 450Hz to 5,000Hz
Tweeter, 5k+

A really fun project...but a lot hinges on the mid bass horn for the true magic.

Andrew

Attachments

• 340.jpg
    340.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,540
  • ports in.jpg
    ports in.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 398
  • painted cabs.png
    painted cabs.png
    493.9 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC_0303.JPG
    DSC_0303.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 516
  • bass horn drawing.png
    bass horn drawing.png
    312.4 KB · Views: 1,427
  • sim.png
    sim.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,429
  • mouth bass horn.jpg
    mouth bass horn.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,449
  • horn inside 3.png
    horn inside 3.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 1,501
atilsley

I have seen some of your past builds and was impressed, however I don't see why you would build a mid bass solution that is much less efficient than your midrange horn even with using dsp.

Thanks.

The build of the mid bass horn is mainly around the dynamics and scale such a horn delivers...plus I simply like large horns...!

Efficiency wise, not an issue. With altec 416 or 515, I'll have 100db...with small adjustment on minidsp, this will work fine with azura.

Azura is being used with JBL 2445 at the moment.

I'll submit a recording of another 340 I had with selenium one inch driver....remarkably flat for a cheap driver and relatively cheap horn.

The two inch throat 340 provides more attack...and I'm currently crossing this at a low 450hz.

Mid bass horn especially designed to cover 100hz to 500hz....which is the very critical range.

Martin Sneddon of azura has same type of horn, and puts this way ahead of his other horns, eg the big 160 model. It was his comments that made me decide to go down this fun path.

Plus, I'm a builder and creator...!

atilsley;

You cant.t go wrong with the Altec 515. I use the 515b and found it to be the best for mid bass duty. Your system should sound great when complete !!!
Thanks...I've spent a few years working it all through...and have built many systems using 604's, 416's, my own made Yuichi 290Hz horns, Tannoy GRF horns, GOTO bass horns etc.

What drivers are you using on the Azura?
Would like to see actual measurements if possible on the 340 wide open... no xover.

hottattoo, I think that is why they invented bigger amplifiers? :D

Here's a recording using Selenium DT220 one-inch driver.

I'll do another recording with bigger JBL 2445's later. These are sounding very good at the moment...and I'm using cheapy horn tweeters (P-Audio) to test the upper range.

I might try and keep the system three-way....for example, the Faital Pro HF200 comp driver measures very well from 500Hz to 18,000Hz. I've used this driver before in the Bob Crites Cornscala. If I had a few more $$'s, I'd go with one of the new Be models from Radian....very good range recently introduced....but $600-$700 each.

Attachments

• 340 measure with selenium.png
    340 measure with selenium.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 758
Thanks guys....Lynn, priveleged you'd say so...as I've watched/read many of your projects.

I'm a builder/enthusiast...and love anything big.

I've built Carfrae, Big Fun Lowther, GOTO bass horns, Tannoys, Cornscala, ALtec 620, Altec Stonehenge with 604...just love playing around...and the sound of a big cab is great.

With this bass horn, it's certainly a mroe ambitious project....

I'll keep you posted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.