Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2014, 07:41 PM   #1
back is offline back  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Ideas for a 3 way.

i am building an active 3 way.

i have swans rt2h tweeters the audio technolgy 15h52 mids and jbl 2206 woofers.

the xo will be digital currently and alpine ha700 and maybe hypex dlcp later.

i am thinking of the cabinet design and i would like some advise.

first priority is SQ and second the looks..

i have a feeling that placing the mid at the top (higher than ear level) gives the image more hight.

what about diffraction?

maybe a mirrored image pair atc like?

i was considering dappolito too since the mids are lower sensitivity than the rest.

what do you guys think?
Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have not worked with any of your drivers, so this is a generic opinion.

1) From Troels website, the RT2H planar tweeter looks like a 2Khz LR4 acoustic xover tweeter with good sonics. Troels describes how some units have the poly absorption material touching the rear of the tweeter film, and benefit from removing some material. ~ 93db efficiemcy. The vertical polar dispersion of a planar tweeter is lower than a dome tweeter, so proper ear level placement (36-40") is important. A MTM with a 2Khz Xover using these drivers will have significant lobing - a bad thing.

SWANS RT2H-

AT-SW

2) The C-Quenze 15 H 52 06 13 SD looks like 89db efficiency with a rising SPL starting at 1.5Khz, but no nasty cone break-ups thanks to the poly cone. A 2Khz LR4 acoustic xover to the RT2H looks like a good starting point for simulation, as does a 200Hz LR4 acoustic Xover to the woofer. This speaker has good Xmax, but it is still just a 5.5" speaker

These M-T drivers should combine into a great sounding speaker.

3) The JBL 2206H has an Fs=53 Hz, and is designed as a high efficiency midbass, and not a woofer. It would take MASSIVE active equalization and power to generate deep bass from this driver. You should consider purchasing a real woofer with Fs~27Hz and Qts~0.37 and 92db efficiency to provide some baffle step compensation. Two 8" woofers can be used for a narrow cabinet, a single 10" woofer can be used for a simple cabinet. Keep the excellent JBL 2206 midbass in your closet for a BIG, HIGH EFFICIENCY, future speaker.

4) Low diffraction pyramid shaped MT cabinets are often used above a separate well braced, rectangular woofer cabinet. Your wide RT2H might only allow modest bevel cut edges, or quarter round routed edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3way.jpg (92.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg JBL2206.jpg (60.5 KB, 71 views)
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i will use the 2206 because of it,s great midbass and separate subwoofers.

audio technology don,t like to be crossed low.

i am planning 3khz 12db/octave

i agree about the 200hzLR.

so i better avoid mtm and make a WMT?

Any comments about miror image?

what about placing the mid on top of the tweeter?
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by back View Post

i am planning 3khz 12db/octave
if you have a 12" JBL and subs, it looks more like you 'only' need a good midrange
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
if you have a 12" JBL and subs, it looks more like you 'only' need a good midrange

you think i should change the 15h52 for something else?

i thought about audax pr170zo to tell you the truth.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back View Post
Why build just one speaker when you can explore two different style speakers? normal + high_efficiency

If you already own the RT2H planar tweeter and 15H52 midrange you might consider purchasing an 8" woofer like the SB_Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8 and constructing an 11" wide, normal efficiency(87db) 3-way speaker. The SB23NRXS45-8 will produce -3db bass at 28Hz in a 2.7 cuft box.

If you already own the JBL 2206 and musical subwoofers you might consider purchasing a horn/waveguide plus a 1" compression driver and constructing a high'ish efficiency controlled directivity 3-way speaker. The JBL 2206 in a 1.1cuft sealed cabinet can be crossed LR4 at 100Hz. Study the SEOS12 and SEOS15waveguides for a LR4 1100-1200Hz Xover. Study the 18Sound XR1064 constant directivity horn for a LR4 1500-1600Hz xover. I posted one example design sketch earlier. FIRST, listen to the JBL 2206 up to 1100Hz, and then up to 1600Hz to determine what sounds best to you. Graph your room with different speaker placements and observe how 90H vs 60H degree polar response patterns could remove nasty early side wall reflections.

NOTE: The 15H42 midrange is probably best crossed LR4 ~200Hz, and this DEMANDS that STEREO subwoofers be placed directly under the MT. There are several studies proving that our ears can physically locate a bass source position in a room when the Xover frequency is over ~80Hz.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i don,t think i will create any of the speakers you describe.
an 8 inch will be small for my room and i don,t think i will like the mids of the two way.
i will try with these and if the AT is limiting i maybe replace it with something more efficient.

Hide this!Advertise here!