Identify two 8" woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought 2 woofers for $40 for a 3 way I want to build but I cannot find a maker or model number for them other then what's printed on the stickers .:confused:
Other woofer has 040fb6956.

DC 5.8 Ohms.

Cheers!:eek:

David

Attachments

• IMG_20140407_194521.jpg
    IMG_20140407_194521.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20140407_194506.jpg
    IMG_20140407_194506.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 118
Based on looks I would think of them as more of a PA midrange or widerange musical instrument (keyboard / stage monitor monitor) speaker - I was going to edit my previous response and now I see you have replied already. I'd probably cross from a "real" woofer to these an octave or so above resonance. These probably do have high sensitivity and if used full range it wouldn't surprise me to see an F3 higher than 80Hz.

Do they have a fairly stiff suspension?

Yes they are fairly stiff, more so then a normal woofer, and it's spot on with the ones I was looking at online being 75-80hz free air resonance. I'm looking to have a response down to around 60hz and my sub woofer will take care of the lowers.
The box I want to build them in will be around ID 9 x 32 x 10 and have a port of 2 7/8 x 2 7/8. Does this sound ok?

Being a PA 8" driver with a smallish looking magnet, I'd be guessing you want about 2/3 cubic foot reflex or 20 litres. You'd need a stronger magnet for a bigger enclosure. :)

I've done something like this, and it sounds very good. Most 8" drivers rolloff around 3.5kHz naturally, so filtering is easy enough.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Something of a cookbook filter here, which I can recommend:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/254125-recommendation-8-inch-woofer-real-tweeter-2.html#post3882415

You can read Troels Gravesen on his bigger magnet JA8008 driver here too:
TQWT-

His rather exotic big waveguide tweeter gets a different treatment from my own cone and dome tweeters, of course. But these type of 2-way designs work superbly IMO. Just don't expect a lot of bass below 60Hz. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.