DIY ESS Amt 1 Tower Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY ESS Amt 1 Tower Project

I have a pair of ESS AMT 1's. The cabinets are trashed but the drivers and crossovers are great. I am thinking that a bass reflex or transmission line cabinet for the 12" bass driver and the AMT on top might produce something better than the original. I can build the boxes but can't design them.
Please show me the way.
Any thoughts or comments would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Comer
Old 7th April 2014, 12:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

So you want to build. It's only possible with the full parameters from the driver. I only have access to the standard version 12" ESS 689-1220 12" Cast with Treated and reinforced paper cone with rubber half-roll surround, Part # 264-622
ESS 689-1220 12" Cast Frame Woofer Speaker | 264-622
To design a speaker you need to have access to the T/S parameters or either measured by you, if not the same above driver.
Here the ESS amt1 (1973) with a 10" reflex.
What drivers do you have and why do you want to change (BR or other) instead of building a copy of the original enclosure?
Old 7th April 2014, 12:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

the original cabinet is a truncated obelisk and hard to build - the woofer you mention is the replacement for the ones that I have and - so I am assuming they are close - the original speaker is known to be lacking in bass - i figured a new cabinet may improve that
( fs = 24, Qes=4.9, Qes = .52, Qts , .47, Vas = 6.69, )
also read that the ESS AMT 1 Tower was a transmission line with same componeants and hard to beat - but I cant find the design
thanks for helping out
Old 7th April 2014, 01:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You see, in changing the alignment (LF) you will change the output level and Q for the crossover what may or may not change the flat response of the speaker.
The parameters that you give (I have them alrady) are from the PE driver not from yours. Usually we say here in the forum, that there are not 2 drivers that measure the same or are the same, and never a replacement in this case. But if you insist. I can give you an alignment for that driver, with very good extension, then what, you can't reproduce it with your driver/speaker/system, they are not the same drivers.
Now, if you are buying those new drivers that would be a different situation.
Old 7th April 2014, 01:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Please can you detail your model speaker. As I can't match your model with a 12".
Old 7th April 2014, 02:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK
So here is the problem - I have these drivers and these crossovers and trashed cabinets - I can't replicate the cabinets like the originals but I can make some more traditional boxes. What should I do.
Thanks again for your time!!
Old 7th April 2014, 02:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Will take a photo of the 12" when I get home - I don't have testing equipment I just figured the replacement specs would be approximate
Old 7th April 2014, 04:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comer View Post
OK
So here is the problem - I have these drivers and these crossovers and trashed cabinets - I can't replicate the cabinets like the originals but I can make some more traditional boxes. What should I do.
Thanks again for your time!!
Yes. That's a very close to the original duplicate that would be enough.
We need to know if the speaker is sealed, reflex or other like (TL) transmission line.

If sealed is fine but if other like a reflex we need the exact dimensions/thickness/material for the port/tube and location inside the cabinet for reference. Can you access the model/year(?) generally in the back panel.

Then after that, we need the volume (net) internal. There are many ways of doing that including measuring the/all the panels you have. If measuring the outside dimensions we also need thickness of ply/mdf. That's useful if building new ones, to know the type or thickness of the material that they used before.
Old 7th April 2014, 04:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comer View Post
Will take a photo of the 12" when I get home - I don't have testing equipment I just figured the replacement specs would be approximate
Yes, approximate... but not the same. They will be the same (or approximate) if the model/driver is from the same batch/year and measured to follow the same specs in the factory, than that that you see in Parts Express or another shelf/stock. Meaning that they were made at the same time (window/year) or to the same specs as an old stock.

The same drivers (same model year, so to say) are different within a margin that is set like 10% (or 5%) from the target. They are production deviations following a quality control. If the parameters change for a second model/year then you don't have the same driver anymore.
Old 7th April 2014, 08:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default ESS continued

so - I have attached a before and after - the after is labeled "tower". I have naively assumed that I can use the 'guts' from the essamt1 (before) and build a pair of speakers configured like the more traditional tower in the photo. I am hoping that with the thiel parameters a larger cabinet might be designed that would improve the bass lacking in the original. I have used some simple web page calculator and the parameters from Parts
Express and come up with a sealed cabinet with a volume of 5.3 feet which is manageable. The calculator yielded a ported cabinet with a volume of 11 feet ++ which is too big. The Tower which was actually for sale by ESS in the 70's was a transmission line and rumored to have produced fabulous results.
I guess I can measure one of the old cabinets but I was (maybe naively ) hoping to improve on that..
thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg essamt1.JPG (46.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg tower.JPG (23.3 KB, 245 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!