Recommendation of 8-Inch Woofer + Real Tweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2014, 05:04 AM   #1
krafty is offline krafty  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Recommendation of 8-Inch Woofer + Real Tweeter

Hi folks.

In the imminence of me finishing my first cross over, I am already thinking about constructing a living room set, for stereo music listening and movies.

The set I have in my living room is pretty rudimentary, no calculations, no cross-over, just a 8 inch woofer with a CTS/Motorola piezo thrown in these sealed cases.

Now the time is arriving, to come up with some pretty decent project.

My first issue is the kind of drivers I might purchase... I want a decent 2-way set consisting in:

1 x 8 inches woofer
1 x real tweeter (not piezo)

So I want recommendations, as in brand. Also I have a budget. I need to get the best woofer possible within the price range of $40.00 and $65.00. And a tweeter within the price range of up to $22.00. (price/each).

I am currently looking at JBL, Selenium, Hinor... but I'd like a brand that is available in Brazil. Some of the mentioned just now are available, but I don't know if they can be as competitive with other manufacturers around the world.

Like I said, my usage will be at home, with movies and music. I don't need much power. I usually listen to music a bit loud in the environment (kinda like 90dB) and my power amp is very modest, with less than 10 RMS each side (it's an old one and never felt the need to replace it since it has a 5-band built in equalizer and sounds so good).

One more thing to consider is that I am not a "mid-range" guy. I usually like to remove the mid frequencies in the EQ so it sounds more pleasant. But I have also read about having a system that will pleasantly output everything naturally (not sure what it means) so it is perfect even without EQ adjustments or EQ present in the system.

So, ok... I am starting this project. Need drivers recommendations. I am not looking for outrageous products and am not picky about getting the best or more expensive. The cabinets I imagine I am doing are about 18 (Height) x 11 (Width) x 9.5 (Length) inches each. Wanna go a little smaller from what I have now, because there is no point having a cabinet this huge with non-optimized audio.

If you know any speakers that will fit in this mission, please advice.
Thanks for answers!
Old 4th April 2014, 06:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your post mentions you presently use a sealed case, 8 inch driver without crossover as a result of piezo tweeter. Well you have arrived at a few good ideas ie the sealed case and 8 inch driver. The little Acoustic Research AR7 which is a 1970's speaker offers very good bass response as a result of being in a sealed enclosure and being a acoustic suspension speaker. If looking for one of these try and source one with the cloth type surround as the foam ones soon rot away. but your 10 watts might need rethink as they are happy with 50 watt amps upward.

As regard individual drivers JBL are very good, as are AR. Occasionally you can get a different brand tweeter to work better than the brand of woofer you choose, for instance the Polk brand of drivers particularly their tweeters are excellent.

Speakers unless they are full range electrostatics, are all about enclosures and how air enclosed is used with the bass driver, the enclosure being matched ideally to the bass driver. The crossover too playing a major role in presenting a pleasant load to your amplifier whilst adequately allowing each driver to function as intended with its designated frequency range.

Best luck with your search

Cheers / Chris

Last edited by Chris Daly; 4th April 2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 4th April 2014, 06:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty View Post
So I want recommendations, as in brand. Also I have a budget. I need to get the best woofer possible within the price range of $40.00 and $65.00. And a tweeter within the price range of up to $22.00. (price/each).!
You will have problems getting most tweeters at that price to play low enough to meet an 8" woofer effectively. The closest I know of are my MAX design, which use a Vifa DX25, and the HiVi M8N. The tweeter is a touch more than the price but not much at least in the states. I imagine there are sellers of these in Brazil, but I have not tried to locate them.

The xover and cabinets' design are already done this way if you go this route.
MAX Photos by wolf_teeth_speaker | Photobucket

Click the image to open in full size.

I can link the build thread if you like, as there is lots to this design. I will also add that the imp-phase is a little more capacitive than some others due to the nature of the filter design. If you have a high current amplifier you should be fine.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Wolf
Old 4th April 2014, 04:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Can you get faital pro there? You will probably have a much easier time crossing a 3FE25 to an 8" than an affordable tweeter, especially if you're not going to be using measurements.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:50 PM   #5
krafty is offline krafty  Brazil
diyAudio Member

We have JBL here, as I said. Their current website is here:
JBL bought Selenium (respected national brand) in 2010. I assume I can expect the same quality as JBL international products, right?
JBL SELENIUM

There are lots of products and many types of woofers.
Most of them are commercialized in Brazil, so any suggestions in here are welcome, regardless of price.

Here's what caught my attention:

JBL SELENIUM
JBL SELENIUM

There is literally lots of woofers. Many are not acoustic suspension, just a few. I wonder why.
Old 4th April 2014, 11:50 PM   #6
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Krafty, I know you can get Eminence drivers in Brazil. Why not build a high efficiency One Pi speaker?
Pi Speakers, one Pi speaker

Wayne Parham will email you the plans:
AudioRoundTable.com: Pi Speakers

It uses the Eminence 8 alpha Speaker. Earlier models used a bullet tweeter, but he now favours a soft dome. I think you could fit anything you fancy really. I'd fancy something like this: TW 70 - 8 Ohm.

I've built this sort of 20L 8 inch reflex speaker.

It's not hard and it sounds nice, also loud for a few watts. You can tune the crossover by ear IMO.

Last edited by system7; 4th April 2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 5th April 2014, 12:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We have JBL here, as I said. Their current website is here:
JBL bought Selenium (respected national brand) in 2010. I assume I can expect the same quality as JBL international products, right?
JBL SELENIUM

There are lots of products and many types of woofers.
Most of them are commercialized in Brazil, so any suggestions in here are welcome, regardless of price.

Here's what caught my attention:

JBL SELENIUM
JBL SELENIUM

There is literally lots of woofers. Many are not acoustic suspension, just a few. I wonder why.
Acoustic suspension is an excellent way of reducing cabinet size, and providing extended bass response with low distortion.
What killed off the acoustic-suspension speaker?

Edgar Villchur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 5th April 2014, 03:02 AM   #8
lexer98 is offline lexer98  Argentina
diyAudio Member

JBL woofers have high qts, so a big cabinet is needed. Search another brand
Old 5th April 2014, 04:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Earlier models used a bullet tweeter, but he now favors a soft dome...
You mean (the constant) celeb piezo KSN 1038.
Old 5th April 2014, 05:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, ok... I am starting this project. Need drivers recommendations. I am not looking for outrageous products and am not picky about getting the best or more expensive. The cabinets I imagine I am doing are about 18 (Height) x 11 (Width) x 9.5 (Length) inches each. Wanna go a little smaller from what I have now, because there is no point having a cabinet this huge with non-optimized audio.
A box shape that has dimensions 18 inches by 11 inches by 9.5 inches has a volume of:
= 1.0885 cubic feet = 30.824 liters (gross)

If using Marine Plywood thickness - 21mm (15ply)
Volume in Liters: 19.6 L
Driver 8" (displacement): 1 L
------------------------------------
Total enclosure internal volume available: 18.6 L (net)

Then you have to go shop in your country if you don't want to overpay for taxes and postage overseas. Links: (go to Google or window shopping)
ALTO-FALANTE PROFISSIONAL BRAVOX ALTO-FALANTE PROFISSIONAL JBL SELENIUM ALTO-FALANTE PROFISSIONAL OKSN ALTO-FALANTE PROFISSIONAL OVERSOUND

Selenium 8PW7
JBL SELENIUM
http://www.jblselenium.com.br/marcas...99d9bbbf82.pdf

Selenium 8PW3 / 8PW3-SLF*
http://www.jblselenium.com.br/marcas...49ec68ef94.pdf

Selenium 8MB4P
JBL SELENIUM
http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachm..._SpecSheet.pdf
Selenium 8MB4P 8" Woofer / Midbass Speaker | 264-466

Selenium 8W16P
http://www.jblselenium.com/marcas/up...7862c5fcc6.pdf

Selenium 8PX
JBL SELENIUM
http://www.jblselenium.com.br/marcas...ef451e3229.pdf

Selenium 8W4P
http://www.jblselenium.com/marcas/up...652f07c08e.pdf
Selenium 8W4P 8" Woofer | 264-424

All the above drivers are for sale online (above link).
Selenium 8MB4P 8" Woofer / Midbass Speaker
Selenium 8W16P

These 2 would be my selection but again would have to check and recheck for correct enclosure/alignment/crossover/tweeter what is to say a new project or follow similar one. Now you know what's the space/volume of the speaker. You will just have to find your "Cinderella" driver.
BG20 in a fake Druid

Hide this!Advertise here!