Recommendation of 8-Inch Woofer + Real Tweeter - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2014, 05:50 PM   #21
krafty is offline krafty  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Parts Express doesn't ship to Brazil. What a shame, I guess I will have to look for those Daytons or a kit elsewhere.
Old 14th April 2014, 01:59 AM   #22
Account disabled at member's request

look at meniscus kits!
Old 14th April 2014, 02:13 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Thanks murphythecat.... Looks promising.
Old 14th April 2014, 02:20 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_teeth View Post
When you can get an extra octave more extension going vented, I would advise not shrinking your box smaller. Using an 8" to 66Hz as the lowest seems like a waste to me.

Later,
Wolf
I would like some "analogy" on how the techs of what you say is, so it would be easier to understand and see this.

I thought of going vented with my current drivers, since it matches their datasheet.
Old 14th April 2014, 06:03 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ok, so I have the exact size of my current box.
Not having to do anything to it, apart from adding port or re-lacquering/painting would be the ideal thing for this project.

The measurements from within, discounting the ply are: (I will do it in centimeters because I can't interpret well the inch system without major maths in here ).

Height = 50cm
Length = 29,9cm
Depth = 22cm

That gives a 32,89 Liters box. Minus 1 Liter of driver displacement: 31,89. This is REAL CLOSE to the Dayton specs for a vented box. I don't know if I could get away with it. Could I possibly do?

Another thought would be to get the front ply and move inwards about 5 cm (down to 25 L), which would not be enough for a sealed box, with this Dayton woofer.

The Dayton woofer is really on a budget in Canada, being HALF of the american price. Someone needs to fill me in why this is like that (Health care system kinda analogy related here? )

So I could buy these two Dayton, two Dayton dome tweeters (RC28F-8) and design a crossover after the parts arrive home... for sure I'd get the air core inductors with the purchase because the guy I know only work with 17 AWG and charges an eyeball for it.
Old 14th April 2014, 01:28 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Perfect. It just needs a long port (50cm) for the 30L in the reflex enclosure that can be adjusted later. Nice driver on paper.
2-way, using Dayton Audio RS225-8 woofer and RS28F tweeter:
RS duet by Paul Kittinger
Old 14th April 2014, 01:45 PM   #27
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Perfect. It just needs a long port (50cm) for the 30L in the reflex enclosure that can be adjusted later. Nice driver on paper.
2-way, using Dayton Audio RS225-8 woofer and RS28F tweeter:
RS duet by Paul Kittinger
Sorry to be a nag, but that vent doesn't sound remotely right to me. I'd be looking at 50-60mm diameter and about 10 cm. long. Adjustable tubes are quite useful with this sort of thing. You glue or duck tape them solid when they are about right.
Old 14th April 2014, 02:50 PM   #28
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

I will use a seas prestige 8 inch woofer. With a classic 6.5 vifa thats known to be very smooth in the mid range. I have some very good sounding full sized sealed boxes that accept 8s I will first try the seas in. On paper they look like they will work in a sealed speaker. If they dont line up I might be able to use them as another reference to gauge new dimensions.

Last edited by SS4927; 14th April 2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 14th April 2014, 06:21 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty View Post
The Dayton woofer is really on a budget in Canada, being HALF of the american price. Someone needs to fill me in why this is like that (Health care system kinda analogy related here? )
Exchange rates are equivalent and the prices look the same from here. Is it possible the USA price has duties included or something? Not sure what you're looking at.
Old 14th April 2014, 06:48 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Sorry to be a nag, but that vent doesn't sound remotely right to me. I'd be looking at 50-60mm diameter and about 10 cm. long. Adjustable tubes are quite useful with this sort of thing. You glue or duck tape them solid when they are about right.
You are a nag...
I was mentioning the port so that the OP is aware that will reduce internal volume.
A speaker that is larger (volume) will have a shorter port. In this case a smaller than optimal 30 L the port (~2/3 L) will play a significant roll in the alignment of the speaker and it's internal dimensions. It's logical, if you reduce the diameter of the port you will end with a shorter port and higher air speed for the same RMS power.

If you guys make mention of a port (size/dimensions) please make sure to post the size (volume) of the enclosure (and diameter/length of the port or tunning frequency) so that we always have a small idea of the alignment that is being talked about. The port of the speaker that is posted in my link is for a big volume floorstander speaker, so the alignment makes a big difference to the one of the OP's, with it's 5" port.

Hide this!Advertise here!