Recommendation of 8-Inch Woofer + Real Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to look at this manufacturer! Thank you!
It takes some time and effort to build a good speaker so if you choose a design that has a good chance of making you happy it might be worth the short-term pain of paying a bit more for it. But some drivers just seem overpriced to me and perhaps good sound can be achieved from lower cost drivers available to you locally. There must be some forums for making speakers in Brazil that you can tap into for better advice ?

Do you mean a new whole amp from scratch or an addendum to the Yamaha AV receiver?
Well that's up to you. An amplifier from scratch would be fun, it could re-use the case and power supply etc. of your old stereo perhaps to keep it simple. There is a guy in Recife that has some amazing good DIY amplifier designs: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/96237-destroyer-x-amplifier-dx-amp-my-amplifier.html
Greg's Web Site

I also had a HT receiver that didn't sound good enough for me, a fairly modern Pioneer unit and I modified the amplifier to get a cleaner and more dynamic sound: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/230403-tgm6-modified-pioneer-ht-amplifier.html

Hi. The PRV site does not offer any online store, but I think I can quote the drivers directly with them, and yes, there are no taxes on this. I was looking into the W122800-8 model. Looks like a great woofer. Not sure about their tweeters.

Looks like the average price for this woofer is USD 90.00, making life a lot easier. It could go on with the same 30L sealed box, and I would just have to cut the 8" inch hole larger.

I don't think I would need another amplifier. That would be too much of a hassle. The Yamaha does look promising, it's just that my drivers are not right - I say that because this Yamaha does sound stunning with Sennheiser headphones, clean, perfect... this is where I am coming from, that my loudspeakers are wrong with this AV.

I'd say the speakers are the critical component in my systems too. But an amplifier driving a speaker will behave differently than one that is driving headphones. Headphones represent a trivial load to a power amplifier, and you need milli-watts of power for normal listening. A power amp operating at those power levels might remain in Class A whereas when driving a speaker it will be in Class AB. You can't compare.

Yes Bigun... I was suspecting of that, before I wrote about my impression. Nevertheless, I don't know if this is an indication that my speakers are really wrong, if not then this receiver is really not up to what I expected, although it is modulating stereo perfectly - my old stereo is not modulating equally on each side (one side is more muffled). Have you heard anything new about the Yamaha towers NS-50F. It's a 35" inch tall tower, with two 6" woofers and one tweeter. I wonder if those would match the system.

Well, the old speaker does not totally works well with speakers, as when it cranks up, it cracks the speaker a little. I also have to manually adjust a level to music and to films using individual settings, and there is no remote control. The reason I acquired Yamaha was to use those features, the remote control for films, and to be honest, the flat settings Yamaha does provide is equal to the setting I used to adjust on old stereo, for films. It's just for music that I am not really keen to 1kHz through 3kHz range, and as I said before, the bass is lacking. I'm going to try an active subwoofer tomorrow if there is something else to achieve. Just a test.

I'll be in touch with PRV Audio and see what they recommend me to use with my 30L box.

8MB450 | PRV Audio Brazil
Looks like an interesting woofer.

High Frequency | PRV Audio Brazil
They split this section into "drivers" and "tweeters", but I'm not sure what exactly they mean with this split.
Perhaps the two last ones in the list to go with the woofer?

Another thought I had was... the acoustic suspension speaker doesn't have significant advantage over a woofer like this, in terms of bass, or does it?

Last edited:
Here is my first reveal on the issue...
http://www.hinor.com.br/uploads/download/4180/manual-star-light.pdf

Hinor Speaker is 4 Ohms. My old stereo is outputting 8 Ohms.
The Yamaha (Made in China) receiver outputs 6 Ohms.

I don't know if this is the case, but it could be that I'm getting more bass on old stereo because the amp is driving more load towards the speakers, all of this time. And the Yamaha is a little closer to drive less load. Although in Yamaha RX-V359 manual there are several descriptions of power outputs (dynamic, maximum, minimum rms, etc.) and they can vary from 2 to 8 Ohms.

I'm doing some experiments here, while I don't find the matching kits...

I'm reducing the value of the piezo resistor, to boost the treble. (I had it on a 10 Ohm resistor because old stereo was very bright.) But I was thinking in actually doing a dirty job on this woofer and limit it to 1200 kHz. Any ideas on how can this be achieved? The great manufacturer does not supply a curve graph info, but the specs on second line can help. Doesn't matter, I can do the component changes until it sounds good. I'd thank you for this help!

That "interesting woofer" is more of a midrange. Don't expect any bass with a resonance frequency of 76hz.

Face,
What do I need to expect then, something along the lines of 30Hz?
From PRV, the only woofer that is around 30Hz is a 18".
I see it lists a 10" that could fit my box (11" is limit of my cabinet), which is 52Hz. (THIS)

This 10 incher also caught my attention. 60Hz RF.

This manufacturer only produces lower RF with the largest speakers (like 18").

Face,
What do I need to expect then, something along the lines of 30Hz?
From PRV, the only woofer that is around 30Hz is a 18".
I see it lists a 10" that could fit my box (11" is limit of my cabinet), which is 52Hz. (THIS)

This 10 incher also caught my attention. 60Hz RF.
These may be usable, but their specifications appear to be optimistic. You'll need to use modeling software to see how well they'd work in your enclosure.
LinearTeam
Revisting Magnum Speakers. I found this one to be very interesting. Low QTS. RF of 50.
AF 10″ SU 100 – Magnum – Alto-falantes

A lower priced brother is AF 10″ SU 080 – Magnum – Alto-falantes
Qts higher, though.

It's available on some retail online seller in Brazil.
FS is still rather high and xmax low on both of those. You want a FS of around 50hz or less. QTS is important as well, .5+ demands a sealed cabinet or large ported cabinet.

I found this one:
W200SC - Solen Electronique - World leading producer of high-end crossover components
Info about the speaker here: http://solen.ca/wp-content/uploads/w200sc.pdf

It's said to be the replacement for the W200S-8.
A difference is that is outputs 6 Ohms, which is fine, my Yamaha system outputs 6 Ohms. It's priced lower than in Parts-Express.
W 200 SC 8 OHM states the difference that is the magnetic shield.

From my research, no brazilian woofers match the criteria this one has. So I might be able to import from Canada and pay 60% on taxes, that would be about 308.00 USD, with all costs. I might go with this one because the national brands are just frustration.

From my research, no brazilian woofers match the criteria this one has. So I might be able to import from Canada and pay 60% on taxes, that would be about 308.00 USD, with all costs. I might go with this one because the national brands are just frustration.

Krafty, in fact you are right. You and some fellow brasilians. Brasil is a good exporter of pro drivers (PA drivers). You almost can find them everywhere. They are also producing for JBL, the n.1 in the world. But you can not find tradicional hi-fi drivers, don't ask me why there are no factories for such product (). Visaton is also an acessible brand in this matter. You should ask a university professor about this, like prof. Homero Sette that was at Selenium until 2015. Have fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.