Rebuild of Proson Conquest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I need some advice regarding a small project of mine.

My plan is to use my existing loundspeakers ( Proson Conquest 6020 mk2 ) and change the drivers and filters.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The drivers that I am going to use is:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dynaudio 17w75xl 8 ohm

Peerless 812978 8 ohm

And as lower subwoofer with its own amplifier:
Peerless SLS 830667
(I have not bought this driver yet, so any other better example is welcome.)

The Dynaudio 17w75xl and Peerless 812978 will be in its own cavity of 13.3 liter and I think it will be ported. I already have these drivers from a past project. So for these, a new filter will be made.

The SLS 830667 will use the lower part of the cavity with its own volume of 28.5 liters and will be mounted on the side of the cabinet. This driver will not have any filter as I will use a separate amp connected to the sub channel on the receiver.
The question is if this will be ported or closed? What would you recommend for the SLS? I already have a separate subwoofer (Yamaha sw-515) that can handle the low frequencies. I just want more! And perhaps faster/transient bass.

This is a crossover that I simulated using X-over 3 pro. Any advice on something that I should change?

Kurben,

your XO filter does not seem to be optimized for real world.
Dynaudio often used to use just a single low pass coil for the 17W
and a 2nd order for the tweeter IIRC, depending on model
and quality range.

Tweeter coil is unnecessary large, you would probably need
a value that protects a bit more, between 0,2 and 0,4 mH.

You should investigate the BSC thing. 8ohm drivers usuallly
get away with values from 1,5 mH and up.

The SLS with its Qt=0,66 which I derived from PE web and Vas
of 26 litres, would be happy in your intended volume of 28 litres
sealed box. Would that satisfy your needs, remains unknown.

Adding a port would induce more bass and more boomy sound,
but some folks prefer that and others not.

Measuring is a necessity for achieving good results. There ist still
a question of high passing the 17W or not. For greater listening
levels it would be beneficial.

Last edited:
The Dynaudio 17w75xl has the added capability to work low to 20Hz in reflex (24L@28Hz) or higher tuning (21L), since you are using it as a upper midwoofer to the low 50's (Hz) then use a sealed with ~12 L. I usually use BoxSim where I can enter the size of the enclosure, baffle dimensions, distances between drivers (3D) and FRD/ZMA's with driver data sets for output, impedance and phase.
Use this crossover below (Dynaudio Nuance for tweeter Esotec D-260) and adjust R1/R2 (Lpad) to your likings. :D
http://www.gattiweb.com/images/dynaudio/nuance_tar_3.pdf

For the other driver, you mention 28.5 L. That volume is not enough for 8" Peerless SLS 830667, be it sealed or reflex.
http://www.tymphany.com/files/SLS-P830667 Rev1_0.pdf
The Madisound Speaker Store
http://www.gattiweb.com/images/dynaudio/17w75xl_data.pdf
http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/Peerless/812978.pdf

As Lojzek says (I would look for another driver), some are happy with it or maybe doesn't make a huge difference, then, if you are happy with the project and want to use the drivers and speakers you have available then try an aperiodic - À lá Dynaco - for the SLS8.

You should investigate the BSC thing. 8ohm drivers usuallly
get away with values from 1,5 mH and up.

The SLS with its Qt=0,66 which I derived from PE web and Vas
of 26 litres, would be happy in your intended volume of 28 litres
sealed box. Would that satisfy your needs, remains unknown.

Adding a port would induce more bass and more boomy sound,
but some folks prefer that and others not.

Measuring is a necessity for achieving good results.
Very wise. :)

Thank you for all the input.
I have now revised the crossover for the 17w and the tweeter. It is now a 1st order butterworth for the 17w75xl and a 2nd order linkwitz for the Peerless tweeter. Ignore the xo frequencies and look only at the values and plot (the software does not recalculate those).

How does this look?

As for the subwoofer part I have found a better candidate driver for that.
I searched and actually found an old thread where you, Inductor adviced on a similar request.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/243909-replace-stands-subwoofers.html

It is the same volume approx to my 28 liters and using the driver H1192-08 CD22RN4X
H1192-08 cd22rn4x from Seas.

When simulating that in a Bassreflex of 28 liters and FB 35hz I get nice values.

Seas CD22RN4X is good and looks good but...
is not the best option. You will have to work out your corners. You will need the extra space for the port (volume) in a reflex enclosure. Tunning requires an extra large (read lengthly port that's going to take more than 10 liters. Unless you place it part inside/outside the enclosure. :D :D

CD22RN4X requires a minimum of 24 liters of internal volume of your enclosure (net). You need to had to this port size/volume >10L and driver displacement ~1L, leaving only 5 liters free for your port/tube. :rolleyes:

In that case (example) for the 24 Liters (net) it would require a 26/27 Hz tuning (and long - 7.4 cm diameter - port.) :scratch1:

I' going to reevaluate the volume for the ports:
Seas CD22RN4X, VB = 23.7 L, FB = 26.5 Hz (tuning)
Port Diam: 7.4 cm
Port Length: 71.78 cm
Volume of port with plastic tubing (7.9x70cm): 3.4 liters
Speed of air in the port: 14.1 m/s (lower than 14.3 m/s)
8" driver displacement: 1 L

Total volume internal:
------+
28.1 L (net)

Is about it, the same volume of 28 L you have, so is perfect for the Seas CD22RN4X. (My bad when I used radius for diameter of the port in the previous post#10, what now was cleared.)
Congratulations for your owl's eye! :cuss: :cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.