AudioTEC OB speaker pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cost: less than one hundred Canadian dollars.

Time: one day.

The look on your parents' face when they see the speakers that I built for them as a Christmas present: priceless.

A big thanks goes to all forum members for their help. I'd like to recognize planet10 aka Dave, for providing the vintage drivers at a great price, and to KYW for the inspiration.

BTW, they sound really nice - great vocal intelligibility, and the bass is much better than I was expecting. Perhaps the TV is extending the effective width of the baffles.

The baffles were made from two pre-finished Woodstalk shelves cut to length at Home Depot, connected by a piano hinge. The full-range driver is run wide open, the tweeter uses a series 4.8 uF combo. I tried smaller caps (higher crossover), but didn't like the sound. I added a phase plug to the tweeter consisting of a Marenco twist electrical connector with a bolt threaded in it to attach magnetically to the tweeter pole piece.

I'd be happy to answer questions.
Happy new year,
Eric

Here are the pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm really glad the parental units are enjoying them :)

I scored these drivers before i got the alnico ones you scored many moons ago, so their actual provenance is long lost in my memory. They do have a very nice curvelinear cone with treated centre.

What are the numbers on the magnet?

The tweeters are what i call 2" thimble tweeters (because the magnets are shaped like thimbles & not much bigger). There are variations from all 3 of the major Japanese OEMs. Really quite a decent tweeter and cheap (i get all of $2 USD/pr for them).

dave

planet10 said:
What are the numbers on the magnet?

I'm not sure Dave, I'm already 2 hours away - not that it matters anyway!

BTW said:
Btw what damping material did you use on the speaker basket frame?

I used a product known in North America as Ductseal. It feels like sticky modeling clay, and does not harden. I found it at a hardware shop (Home Hardware). I've attached a picture of what the packaged material looks like.

Eric

Attachments

• ductseal.jpeg
    ductseal.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 195
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Serow said:

aka "magic"

not many speakers that won't benefit from it.

dave

Here is another pic of the FRs... i didn't save a big pic of these, but based on what i can see, here is the story -- the codes on the back look like they are RSC (Radio Speakers of Canada)*, but the cone is not. Because of trade restrictions in the old days it was common practise for foriegn manufactures to get stuff OEMed in the target country. My bet these are built for Telefunken by RSC using Isophon cones & RSC baskets & magnets... and then possibly sold by the Bay or Simpson Sears under one of their house-brands.

* would be confirmed by a 4 place code that is something like DKW9.

Attachments

• eric-like-frs.jpg
    eric-like-frs.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 187
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.