Starting to design the next project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,
So I'm starting to put together the design for my next project and I'm having a bit of a design block.

Want I want to do is build a custom Console Stereo, a'la 1950's chic. I have approval, in concept at least, from the wife, and she wants to use this as a sideboard to the dining room table. So it needs to be pretty, roughly 6ft long, 2ft deep and 3ft to the top surface. All these dimensions are negotiable if need be.

I do at least know the style of Amp I want to put in it. I'm thinking about a PP KT88 of about 25WPC, using a 12ax7, or something similar, pre-amp. A total of 4 inputs, phono, Ipod, CD, and an Aux. Having all connections hidden under the flip up top.

The problem I'm having is the speaker design, as this drives, many of the other more aesthetic decisions . I built some Markaudio Alpair Super Pensil 12's a few years ago that sounded great, but haven't built anything Multi-way yet. Unfortunately these were sold when I sold that house to the new owners.

So what I'm looking for a great is sounding speaker multi-way design that can be integrated into a Buffet/side table. There is the possibility of integrating a sub into the system, but I'm not set on that. I will do all my design work in CAD, so I can get FINAL approval before purchasing anything. No so concerned with the overall stereo imaging. But I do want the sound the be very crisp. We listen to ALL types of music, but the wife is a classically trained violinist, so reproduction and detail are important, but a bit of floor shaking is always fun. I want to look at having the speaker set come in in the $500-$600 USD range.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My goal is to have this completed by September range. So something with a long lead time is not so critical.

Thanks,
Adam

The only problem I can think of is aren't buffets usually in the dining room? unless that's your listening room too, seems kinda different. Plus deep bass will make anything inside the buffet rattle, that is if it's going to be a storage place too. Or is it just a place to put food on instead of the table?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.