What gives speakers a "big sound"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
P.S.
Next shotgun wedding with the hybrid series thing, is a 12" DVC subwoofer mated to a 4" midrange, for a 1941 Crosley refit. That thing is open back and paper thin, so now I have to figure out the current drive thing for sure. Darnit! :)

funny, I just bought a 4" mid to try as 'tweeter' :rolleyes: (cute little driver StageLine in Germany use in big baffle array systems)

i find that waveguide speakers i made/listened are not very strong at imaging\soundstage and the most jaw-dropping soundstage, space and ambience i ever got was from large baffle MTM with powerfull bass...

Not true, speakers with Waveguides on the tweeter can have incredibly good imaging and soundstaging, in fact truly outstanding.

funny, I just bought a 4" mid to try as 'tweeter' :rolleyes: (cute little driver StageLine in Germany use in big baffle array systems)

Well, you might want a 3" tang band full range, if it also needs to do tweeter duties. SO, either 3" with phase plug or any 2" could do treble.
In theory, a 4" with phase plug could also do treble at somewhat higher crossover/filter parts cost and labor.

If the driver doesn't have a phase plug, it might still be possible to get it to perform, by adding a series padding resistor bypassed by an RC. That works great on a 2" paper, but probably not as effective on a larger speaker.

P.S.
With the majority of the period authentic recordings for the 1941 Crosley, quite raspy, I have not yet figured out the tweeter situation, so my 12"+4" is more of an up and running experiment, not an end result. Instead of a full range, I'm trying to make a speaker whereby cone excursions won't make clipping like noise nor scrambled vocals. I'll probably bi-amp and do some tweeters like a copy of the Pioneer PAX-30E or PAX-20E so that it could play limited stereo or it could play mono without comb filtering.
The task is interesting because I've got to do the big sound WithOut the cheat of loud uppermost treble--this project has to do the big sound with rolled off treble instead (because of the source material requirements per authentic playback).

Last edited:
What about the THX curve for big sound ? Need a big movie room for the length wave of the first octave ?

For me a lake of upper treble (< 1" driver ) will remove the transcient on mid-bass :the tight bass of drums, cello attacks with hand (not the lower bass who moves the plexus or stomach !)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.