speaker tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please excuse my ignorance, but i have just finished making a set of speakers and the sound output is ok.

But, everyone talkings about "tuning your new speakers" and adjusting things, but what things can u adjust once the speakers are made and in general what does tuning entail.??

Once again please excuse what made sound like a dumb question for everyone else, but i just have no idea

It's a bit hard without a lot of prior experience and/or test equipment. I use a 1/3oct Real Time Analyser to (electrically) check that the passive filters are behaving properly and to acoustically check the speakers ouput in the room, then adjust the filters and/or speaker positioning to get (as close as possible) the response I want.

There are programs you can get, like PC RTA, that use a microphone and your computer for an RTA, and then there is the radioshack spl meter+ test tone cd method.

Volenti said:
Snip....., and then there is the radioshack spl meter+ test tone cd method.

I am using the spl meter with test tone CD but I am still kind of loss as I am using active crossover bi-amping a 2 way. In my case I have a dip in sound pressure at around 450 hz to 1.5k hz and the cross over point set at around 550 hz. What can I do to correct these reponses?

Thanks in advance
Chris

chris ma said:

I am using the spl meter with test tone CD but I am still kind of loss as I am using active crossover bi-amping a 2 way. In my case I have a dip in sound pressure at around 450 hz to 1.5k hz and the cross over point set at around 550 hz. What can I do to correct these reponses?

Thanks in advance
Chris

What drivers are you using ? 550Hz seems very low c/o frequency ?

:) sreten.

Measurments

I'm thinking of buying a Behringer ECM8000 mic and using it with Speaker Workshop.

The software is freeware and the mic costs about 60€, seems like a cheap way to get decent measurements for tuning speakers.

You have to make a small measurement bridge with a couple of resistors and stuff to hook up the mic/loudspeaker to the soundcard, but it doesn't look too hard or expensive.

Haven't tried it yet, but it seems like good stuff.

Has anyone here got any experience with this program?
It seems nice to me.

BTW, if you wanna go dirt cheap you could even do a DIY mic, i've seen instructions for some (seems like they all use panasonic capsules) on the net.

If anyone is i interested i can dig up a link...

/Andreas

Chris:

I read your post in the other thread, you're measuring from the listening position, right?
If you did some nearfield measurements (maybe even separate driver) and compared the results with those you already have, maybe you could pinpoint the trouble.

I'm betting there's a lot of room reflection going on (but you shouldn't really listen to me, haven't done any real measuring myself yet, so i'm just guessing;))

/Andreas

Yea, nuppe's on the right track, reduce the speakers down to their component parts and test them individually, the mids both with and without their x-over,the tweets just with their x-over, both near and far field. That will let you know what is causing what dips/problems in the response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.